Butterfly joints and inlays.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smokinj

Minister of Fire
Hearth Supporter
Aug 11, 2008
Anderson, Indiana
What set-up do you use or what way would you go? Looking at making butterfly joints in slabs and like the idea of using inlays when knots just dont going to work.

Check out butterfly key joinery on Rockler.com. They have the process posted. It is nice looking when finished.

fishingpol said:
Check out butterfly key joinery on Rockler.com. They have the process posted. It is nice looking when finished.

Really cool info. Like the fact is not jusnt another template.

Sharp knife,try square for marking out,100+ yr old Sheffield Steel razor sharp Firmer Chisel & old Beech joiners mallet.

PapaDave said:
smokin, a little off topic, but here's http://creatingsawdust.com/2010/02/how-i-taper-legs/ a guy who does tapered legs the easy way. Not sure if you're into this type of stuff. I just found this a couple months ago. Cool vid.
I've never done any BF joints or inlay work, but looks nice when done right.

My dad really good at that. I just looking to really dress up checks on small boards. Even Looking at using a hickory butter flys on walnut boards just to make the joint really POP! (old school)

smokinjay said:
PapaDave said:
smokin, a little off topic, but here's http://creatingsawdust.com/2010/02/how-i-taper-legs/ a guy who does tapered legs the easy way. Not sure if you're into this type of stuff. I just found this a couple months ago. Cool vid.

My dad really good at that. I just looking to really dress up checks on small boards. Even Looking at using a hickory butter flys on walnut boards just to make the joint really POP! (old school)

Any color contrast like that usually looks awesome.Walnut with Maple,Maple with Cherry or vice versa,Ebony plugs or pins with lighter woods etc. I did a smaller footstool/bench out of 8/4 Honduras Mahogany with Ebony plugs/inlays for parents anniversary about 15yrs back.Last time I seen it,that thing just glowed.

Thistle said:
smokin said:
PapaDave said:

Any color contrast like that usually looks awesome.Walnut with Maple,Maple with Cherry or vice versa,Ebony plugs or pins with lighter woods etc. I did a smaller footstool/bench out of 8/4 Honduras Mahogany with Ebony plugs/inlays for parents anniversary about 15yrs back.Last time I seen it,that thing just glowed.

Thats the look I am going for. Rustic contemporary! if there such a word....

I've always known them to be called a dutchman. They are usually meant to be celebrated and so they are supposed to look hand done, often placed counter to the grain.

12_Drawer_Coffee_Table_dutchman.jpg

LLigetfa said:
I've always known them to be called a dutchman. They are usually meant to be celebrated and so they are supposed to look hand done, often placed counter to the grain.

12_Drawer_Coffee_Table_dutchman.jpg

Looks Awesome! Now to pull it off another story..lol

That does not look as hard as i had thought.

It actually doesn't look hard to do, but needs patience and an eye for detail. I've done one dovetail for fun- the fit was so-so, but first try and I was rushing through it on a test.

That one above is sexy as hell because it's rustic and looks hand done.

Looks easy enough until you throw a high dollar board up there cross the line and you know what happens next! Routers like to drift with the grain..Steady Now, can I have a beer before we get started! lol

I wouldn't use a router at all- I'd go with hand tools. Power tools just help you screw up quicker on detail jobs like that- plus- it's small enough that you're not saving that much effort I'd guess. Maybe a jigsaw.

Adios Pantalones said:
I wouldn't use a router at all- I'd go with hand tools. Power tools just help you screw up quicker on detail jobs like that- plus- it's small enough that you're not saving that much effort I'd guess. Maybe a jigsaw.

I will bandsaw the tenon and router the dept and shape with router and clean it up with chisel. Just not quite as close as that guy done he has more skill than I have.

Adios Pantalones said:
Ya, just for the hogging out part. Very satisfying little touch there. make sure to post good pics

Just got router bit going to do a couple pratice runs.

Go with a router, don't rush it, but don't go to the line. Clean up with sharp chisel. If you screw up, you can always make it bigger.

fishingpol said:
Go with a router, don't rush it, but don't go to the line. Clean up with sharp chisel. If you screw up, you can always make it bigger.

Nice thinkng!

A little bit of new technology to remove material fast, and a little old school to finish it up. I am not a woodworking purist. Nothing wrong with using power tools when available.

fishingpol said:
A little bit of new technology to remove material fast, and a little old school to finish it up. I am not a woodworking purist. Nothing wrong with using power tools when available.

Running an old bosch colt. Looking to upgrade to a tilt base just because the stock base sucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.