cab50

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well. My 1st ignitor lasted 3 seasons. This one is on season #2 and not a misfire 1 (last season or this season)

So as ling as the stove cools enough 20-30 minutes (is my minimum time). I prefer about an hour.

I run on low, so the stove runs longer, but stays off longer also. Because the room has soaked more of the temp (couch, walls, etc are warmer and radiate heat) its warmer/longer.
Sounds good to me. I'm going to switch mine to medium once the hopper gets down lower so I can up the feed just a little bit and keep the temp at what it is right now. Do you have your thermostat programmed for one steady temp or different temps for different times? My stove has been staying off a min of 40 min up to an hour with a 2 degree swing. Low with feed pretty open does not keep up with my house with or without cycling when it's in the 20's or teens or low 30's. Medium with the feed the same as it is now drops too many degrees at night when in the teens for my taste so I am going to up the feed and see if it keeps up more. Also on medium it doesn't cycle because it doesn't keep up.

Well. My 1st ignitor lasted 3 seasons. This one is on season #2 and not a misfire 1 (last season or this season)

So as ling as the stove cools enough 20-30 minutes (is my minimum time). I prefer about an hour.

I run on low, so the stove runs longer, but stays off longer also. Because the room has soaked more of the temp (couch, walls, etc are warmer and radiate heat) its warmer/longer.
Where is your thermostat in relation to your stove?

House is 2,180 sq ft Ranch. Set at 73°…

Quads have a much different Heat exchange system than Heatilators. Quads have a tube type system, where Heatilators have just a convective system.

So input to output #'s will vary....

I only run on Low and it gets it done down to 10° outside.

Quads have a much different Heat exchange system than Heatilators. Quads have a tube type system, where Heatilators have just a convective system.

I have a cape and ofcourse a different stove. With your knowledge of my stove and others what is your take at leaving the feed low and just turn it up to high at night. It seems to only cycle at least 10-14 times a day on high. It hasn't cycled once since being on medium WITH the feed opened a little. You run yours on low. Another member and I were discussing how some people say running on high all the time isn't good for the stove. What is your take on that? My father has the quad classic bay insert and also a cape. A little smaller than mine and he has to do the same. Leave on medium and put on high at night when it's in the teens. Any insight?

The Quad is rated at 47,500 BTU

The CAB and PS-50 are rated at 50,000

Those #'s are based on gate wide open and on high.

Again. The Quads have a far superior Heat exchange system than the Heatilator.

Burning pellets (input BTU) and getting heat out of your stove (Output BTU) are 2 different things.

I run on low and my stove cycles about 12-16 times a day. I run a 3° swing and heat 100% of the house

Running on high, won't hurt the stove, unless you have a larger flame than what the manual calls for? You would be overfiring the unit.

Burning pellets (input BTU) and getting heat out of your stove (Output BTU) are 2 different things.

I run on low and my stove cycles about 12-16 times a day. I run a 3° swing and heat 100% of the house

Running on high, won't hurt the stove, unless you have a larger flame than what the manual calls for? You would be overfiring the unit.
I'm trying to get it to the cylce stage on medium. It cycled lots yesterday while on high and low feed. On for 1 hr to 1hr and half and off for 30-50 min. Averaging on 32-40 mostly for off times. I'm getting comfortable heat at medium and a low feed rate. Just when it gets to the teens it wont cycle and it still drops about 4-5 degrees in the house at night. We went for this stove because of the size of the hopper and also the price. I only had soo much to spend. I'm going to get one of the fans and see if it helps move the air a little better and helps it cycle.... If All else fails then I'll run it on the lower feed rate on medium during the day and high when it's predicted to be colder. Now regarding my dad.. He has the quad and he has similar issues. He puts his on medium and high at night when it's predicted to be colder. My house holds the heat better than his. Plus there are more people living in my house than theirs.

started it on high and it ran for about 10 minutes and shut down. Did a complete clean out fired it back up on high and it ran for about 2 hours before it started to shut down. Switched it to medium and it has been running fine. This stove has a mind of its own. It misfires every night so we wake up to a cold house. Told the dealer today to drop off an xxv and and take the cab50 back.

started it on high and it ran for about 10 minutes and shut down. Did a complete clean out fired it back up on high and it ran for about 2 hours before it started to shut down. Switched it to medium and it has been running fine. This stove has a mind of its own. It misfires every night so we wake up to a cold house. Told the dealer today to drop off an xxv and and take the cab50 back.
I'm sorry you are having issues. I hope all works out for you. Sorry to see you leave the CAB50 family. We love ours. Especially the huge hopper. It was what we could afford and was better price and heating compacity than what we originally were thinking of getting. Good Luck.

The AE burn pot is the same. Thats where the similarity ends. The AE is an auto cleaning machine that has Numerous settings to account for fuel, elevation, etc.

So if more air is needed, there is an adjustment that can be made.

But this shouldn't be a worry, as my Quadrafire has the Same Technology as the Heatilator (3 heat settings) and I can go 2 weeks without pulling my ash Dump. There should be a great deal of air coming through the pot. Enough to make a tornado type flame that ejects all ash and keeps the pot nice and clean.

The Classic Bay 1200 isnt as smart as the AE, but much easier to run, and you control the stove, rather than the Computer
The AE is an awesome stove, but to smart for me. I would look into the XXV.

Here is a pic of my pot after a week of burning and not touching the pull rod. And then a video on the burn. (On Low in my Classic Bay)
View attachment 89273
Hi DexterDay,

Flame Height 4-6 inches for the CB1200 on high to know we have the right setting. Is that a constant flame height or when it peaks it should be 4-6 inches? This is with feed closed. Same question with my CAB50 4-8 inches. Should it be a constant height between 4-8 inches on high or just when it peaks. I peak 10-12 inches on high with feed closed. Too High? If so how do you lower it or get it right when feed is as low as I can make it.

Just replaced the CAB50 with a Harman XXV and we are loving it. I have been trying to figure out what is the best way to run it to get the most heat out of it. Any help of advice would be much appreciated. Also any advice about using a thermometer. From what i have read you are supposed to put it on the exhaust pipe to measure the heat. In my mind this does not make any sense. I would think you are better off measuring the heat off the blower not the exhaust.

Just replaced the CAB50 with a Harman XXV and we are loving it. I have been trying to figure out what is the best way to run it to get the most heat out of it. Any help of advice would be much appreciated. Also any advice about using a thermometer. From what i have read you are supposed to put it on the exhaust pipe to measure the heat. In my mind this does not make any sense. I would think you are better off measuring the heat off the blower not the exhaust.
How long had you had your CAB50? What did you pay for the Harlan? Just wondering? I've got my cab50 running beautifully! I believe there is a Rutland thermometer that you can use on the pipe or the stove from or top. It's magnetic. TSC carries them.

just had the first auger jam in the 15 months we've had the PS50
just a few pellets at the top of the drop chute.
this is the only time function has been interrupted. except a couple times when i let the hopper go empty. : )

i am still very pleased with this stove.
i would definitely look at a cb1200 though. maybe a good used one if we ever move helga to the basement like i'd like to eventually do.

damn. it sure was nice when the heat came back this morning. ran the oil for a single blast while sorting out the stove. pellet heat feels SO much better.

Reactions: The Ds
We always have oil because of our hotwater. So that's our backup now. My father has the cb1200i and he loves the heat but is cleaning it often. I think he isn't getting enough air. He gets a pretty big crust that does break up easily mind you but after 2 days this is what he gets. image.jpg

We always have oil because of our hotwater. So that's our backup now. My father has the cb1200i and he loves the heat but is cleaning it often. I think he isn't getting enough air. He gets a pretty big crust that does break up easily mind you but after 2 days this is what he gets. View attachment 91410

Try another pellet for a few days.

He has tried too. It seems to be better with the MWP than with green supreme. Those are the only two we have. Do you think an oak will help?

Hi Dexter.. Do you think an OAK will help my dad with his air flow? He is burning better with the MWP than the green supreme but still getting the big crust in the firepot. I'll post the newest pic in a few minutes. He is cleaning out the firepot every other day.

Here's that picture of the crusted ash from my dads firepot. I forgot to ask. 3 degree swing. 73 off at 76 and on at 70?

How long had you had your CAB50? What did you pay for the Harlan? Just wondering? I've got my cab50 running beautifully! I believe there is a Rutland thermometer that you can use on the pipe or the stove from or top. It's magnetic. TSC carries them.

Had the cab50 for less than a month. just about everything was going wrong with it. Harman was around 3500. Just put the mag thermometer on the top of the stove??

Had the cab50 for less than a month. just about everything was going wrong with it. Harman was around 3500. Just put the mag thermometer on the top of the stove??
You definitely had a lemon it sounds like. Mag thermometer?

Why didn't you buy the stove that cost twice as much first?

lol. my thoughts exactly.

i love my PS50. and it was affordable for me. and it has proven reliable thus far.
this mornings jam in the upper auger at the chute was the first in nearly two full seasons.
knowing what i know now, i think i'd still go with a nice quad if i could afford it.
i just like the burnpot system of the air clearing the fly ash. only one auger to deal with and it's not stuck in the fire.

please don't get me wrong. i trust and believe that the harmans are among the best.
i'm just pretty sure i'm a toploader/ quad guy for life now.

i'd like to move helga to the basement one day. and i may look for a nice used quad at some point to make that possible.
then just run the PS50 sparingly and when it's really cold to heat the floors a bit and allow for a cooler stove room upstairs.

don't tell helga, but she could be a nice source of emergency spare parts as well. (shhh.)

that's my pellet dream ;lol 5 or 6 years down the line.

lol. my thoughts exactly.

i love my PS50. and it was affordable for me. and it has proven reliable thus far.
this mornings jam in the upper auger at the chute was the first in nearly two full seasons.
knowing what i know now, i think i'd still go with a nice quad if i could afford it.
i just like the burnpot system of the air clearing the fly ash. only one auger to deal with and it's not stuck in the fire.

please don't get me wrong. i trust and believe that the harmans are among the best.
i'm just pretty sure i'm a toploader/ quad guy for life now.

i'd like to move helga to the basement one day. and i may look for a nice used quad at some point to make that possible.
then just run the PS50 sparingly and when it's really cold to heat the floors a bit and allow for a cooler stove room upstairs.

don't tell helga, but she could be a nice source of emergency spare parts as well. (shhh.)

that's my pellet dream ;lol 5 or 6 years down the line.
I hear you. My father wanted the quad because of the burn pot. Now we just need to get him burning a little cleaner.

Status
Not open for further replies.