Caboose stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

MDay

Jan 19, 2021
Dickinson ND
I bought this coal stove recently. I was told it was a train caboose stove. The only problem I’m having is finding the oval chimney adapter. And was just wondering what would be the best way to get a working chimney. The oval is 3”x 4 3/4”
8DE4F7D6-18B8-44D0-B034-531F39472C23.jpeg

Hi MDay! Interesting looking stove, haven't seen anything like it.

From your measurements of the oval, I'm wondering if 4" stovepipe would fit on there. Something like one of these

I used your measurements (4.75/2=2.375, 3/2=1.5) on this page and it looks like it would be close (12.48" vs. 12.56" circumference for 4" pipe)

Good luck with getting your caboose stove running!

How do you load or clean it?

You pour coal from the top through either port the shaker box caches it. Then the vent on the from comes off to scoop the ashes out. I plan on putting a box in to catch the ashes and make clean up easier.

Doesn't look anything like a caboose stove to me because it has no mounting holes in the base and no cook top. It's more than likely a brooder stove, for baby chicks.

Reactions: SpaceBus
It’s possible like I said I was told it was a caboose stove. Not saying it is one, normally when I see caboose stoves they tend to have a more pot belly look and tend to be bigger. Thanks for the correction might be a bit easier to research it knowing the right type of stove.

I'm glad we didn't need a stove to brood our chicks!