Calm our fears!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

John Fortier

Feeling the Heat
Sep 29, 2013
Have our first pellet stove and so far testing different pellet while we are home and awake. We need to get over our fear of sleeping or leaving our house for fear of fire..Help!! :eek:(

bah, sleep is for babies, and leaving your house is over rated...;lol. You may wish to add your stove to your signature line...a) so others of your clan can identify you, b) bragging rights, 3) free tips tricks, and shortcuts pop out of the woodwork in this joint if peeps know what you are running.

Keep smoke & CO detectors around it.

Most (if not all) pellet stove's will shut down if it detects any issues and smoke/CO detectors will wake you up if something were to happen.

Eventually you'll get tired of waking up to a cold house and just leave it on :)

Oil heat before the pellet...DONT WANT OIL!!! Co and smoke are in place. Push me Dr's.

Our first winter (4 years ago) with our pellet stove, we felt the same exact way. We NEVER slept with our Harman Accentra on, and would never even consider leaving our house with the stove still running. That paranoia took all of one Winter to get over. Now, my Harman P68 is my main source of heat and I doubt my furnace will kick on a single time this winter. Because it's so early in the season, our main complaint with the P68 is WAY too much heat!

Fears are being calmed...keep em coming.

Oil heat before the pellet...DONT WANT OIL!!! Co and smoke are in place. Push me Dr's.
Personally i'm more concerned with a 270 gallon oil tank in my basement than the 40lb hopper oh my pellet stove.. one goes boom, the other burns slowly

Reactions: briansol
Understand, bringing fire into the house is scary, but look at what it is burning in....mostly metal....the chances of the fire getting out of the stove is very low, the most that have ever happened to me is a house of smoke smell when some half burned pellets in the ash pan started to burn. You can always have your local fire department come over and do a walk through for you if it makes you feel better.

The stove was designed and rigorously tested to very strict safety standards by a whole lot of really smart professionals. It wouldn't be for sale if it weren't completely safe...provided it is properly installed and maintained in all respects. Operate it and clean/maintain the system in accordance with the manufacturer's instructions, and rest easy. Enjoy the warmth. Rick

Been using pellet stoves since 83 and they were nowhere near the tech and safety built into them. They were more mini log burners with a auger and a couple fans. With the dozens of stove manufactures and models out there its very rare to here of a stove fire. Bad venting usually. Don't buy a stove made in China. They can't even make jerky right.

Reactions: Jacques909
Thanks all, feeling better, its working.

We have all been through it. Sometimes even after just installing a different stove. You just get comfortable with the idea after a while.

Reactions: The Ds and iceguy4
Does your stove have a wall thermostat? If so, maybe switch out to a programmable style thermostat.
If your stove is a newer model and cleaned and maintained regularly, there isn't any worries. Mine runs 24/7 through the heating season. Only turned off to do routine cleaning.

Enjoy not calling the oil man!

Reactions: iceguy4
Will try to sleep through the nite and stay warm at the same time. Very much look forward to not calling for oil. Next is to figure out which pellet to use have 5 types we are trying and keeping notes on each.

Let's see:

Oil hot air furnaces have been known to generate CO and disperse it through the air ductwork.

Oil steam boilers have been known to have low water issues and continuously fire to the point of glowing red and starting nearby wood aflame, or even going boom in an over pressure situation, and even generate CO or blow out chimney vent plugs and dump CO into the room where the vent plug was.

Oil hot water systems have been known to blow out chimney vent plugs and dump CO into the room where the vent plug was.

See those wonderful oil fired central heating systems aren't free of "issues".

In fact they all have that evil thing hiding inside called a fire you just don't normally see it.

Reactions: PoolGuyinCT
Coming from Smokey....How can I possibly go wrong..this is the real Smokey?

Well ya rolls ya dice and you takes ya chances.

As for me being the real Smokey well my nickname is bear and in a prior time frame I did smoke a pipe.

I talk from first hand knowledge of steam boilers and low water only in my case it was a gas fired burner. My wife smelled something wasn't right and looked down cellar to see the glowing boiler, a quick flip of the cut off switch and a call to the fire department. No fire resulted in our case but had some rather charred wood framing. The boiler was a total, both the auto fill and low water cut off failed. Insurance company picked up the tab.

The oil fired hot water system blew an old vent plug out through the living room wall paper at my folks house one November day, my father had been after the service guy to clean the system for sometime. Delayed ignition can be a frightening thing.

A delayed ignition can occur with a pellet stove (whoops, shouldn't have said that :eek:).

ETA: Problems can occur with whatever you use for a heating system, these stoves do have safety systems and in general they work very well. The single most important thing is that the stove must be properly installed and you must understand the importance the monitoring and cleaning of the stove. Most people fall down on the cleaning and not all paid for installations are correctly done.

Last edited:
frankly, i have for years gotten up and left for work with my wife and child asleep in their beds with our pellet stoves running unattended.

pellet stoves are very safe, with proper protections in place such as smoke and CO detectors in place to monitor the environment. to be honest regardless of the heating system being used , be it gas, oil, wood or pellet , if it uses fire to make heat YOU GOTTA HAVE SMOKE AND CO DETECTORS IN PLACE! period.

back to pellet though. i see the Op has a Thelin unit, its a solid unit made by a solid company, they make beautiful stoves, and have as good a safety record as anyone on the market. nice choice BTW i do love their look.

Reactions: fossil
Thanks Stoveguy, that's great to hear, We chose it for the price ( floor model) and extra BTU over our first choice. Looks was the selling point.

Thanks Stoveguy, that's great to hear, We chose it for the price ( floor model) and extra BTU over our first choice. Looks was the selling point.

i suspect you will be happy with it , just as with anything new to you , it takes some getting used to. nothing wrong with being safe. after all what is more important than ones family right?

Heck, I use to load up my wood stove and leave the house for hours ..

Status
Not open for further replies.