Post in 'The Perfect Picture' started by Eatonpcat, Jul 3, 2012.
Did some trimming out at the end of the driveway...Hacked on this sucker for about 30 minutes!!
Helpful Sponsor Ads!
Looks like bittersweet.
Is it a bush? A tree? Or a vine on a bush or a tree? LOL
My Wife is really good with the guessing game... Me, not so much.
For his sake I hope you're wrong.
Green and leafy. I can tell you what its not.
From doing tree work for years, it's sure looks like poison ivy vine! We use to swing the prentice loader grapple back and forth until we could get the claws flat out to grab onto the vines, then spin the head and tear the vine off the tree. That's the only way anyone allergic would attempt to work around the tree. If you spent 30 minutes in that stuff and it sure looks like poison Ivy vine, your going to be a mess if your allergic. Should have asked before you got into that.
My friend ,that's the mother load of poison ivy. Like I said I worked around it as an Arborist for years. We always said, 3 leaves let it be. Even the root and root hairs on contact will give you poison Ivy. I hope you had gloves on and a long sleeve shirt and long pants. Maybe your one of the lucky ones and not allergic. We ran a 10 inch trunk with ivy vine on it through the wood chipper one time and the guy standing near the truck we were chipping into was out of work for a week after the dust blew back out of the chip box and contaminated him. We'd feed the log into the chipper with the log loader and stand clear. This guy thought he knew it all. Hopefully you didn't touch your face as your eyes can swell shut, then your down for the count. Keep us posted! Hope you come back with good news. Also everything you touched will be contaminated with the oils as well. don't wash your clothes with the rest of the family's or you'll all be in the same boat. A little Urushiol goes a long ways .
Looks like your @$$ will be taking a bath in Clorox by this weekend! Lol!
And we lost Eaton. Must be scratching himself???
If you start itching, take a little bit of Clorox bleach & put it on a clean rag. Not much! Scratch the rash & just dob the dampened rag to the rash. It's going to sting like heck for a few seconds, but it relieves the itch quicker than medicine or any cream I've used. DO NOT USE THIS method ON YOUR FACE... I only used it on my arms & fingers. Works like a charm for me. Swimming pool will help too (chlorine).
For Eaton's sake I hope it was all a joke and he already knew what it was.
That really looks nasty.
You are the first one in with the correct answer! Spent my 4th of July morning at the Urgent care because my eyes were swelling shut. Never had such a rash in my life, Got a steroid shot and a perscription, Stand back, Roid rage to follow!
Glad your ok. My first thought was poison ivy. Leaves did not look shiny though. Any "leaves of three" I let them be.
Now you know, next time its the wifes job to prune that bush.
Glad you got help early! The worst thing,,,,the rash seems like it takes for ever to go away. And don't worry, the rash doesn't spread. What makes it look that way is the fact that the rash will come out last in the areas that received the least amount of oil. Jewel weed is very good for the rash. I worked with one guy when I use to be on a line clearance crew , trimming the trees around the power lines, that had to leave the job, because he was so allergic to PI. He would even get it in the winter if he cut any vines what so ever. It's some serious stuff if it gets inside you. I thought it was a joke when you posted that big growth of PI. I use to see it a lot growing on old Sugar Maples for some reason. If we had to fell a tree with the vines on it , we would wear hooded sweat shirts all bundled up when it was like 90 outside. Everyone respected the mess it could make of you. You"ll love very hot water on it , as that stops the itching for a while. Keep us posted on how you make out. Sorry to hear it was no joke. I use to have a bit here and there the whole time I was on the line clearance crew. Even washing with Tecnu PI cleaner after being exposed. Well just think, now you can point the stuff out to all your friends who don't know what it is. The funny thing, you'll notice it all the time on other trees along the road sides as you drive, since you now have respect for it.
Glad your o.k...... Its an Independence Day, that you'll remember for years to come!
(Do you have to work the rest of the week? Hope not, for your sake.)
Good info on the spreading tip, Never knew that. I have some of that Technu cleaner, but I did not use it afterwards because I did not realize what an idiot I was and what i had gotten into.
My face looks like Rocky from the movie Mask...Or Rocky from the movie Rocky (Cut me Mick)
Mad Dog, Working today and tomorrow...Didn't want to blow the vacation days and as it turns out, I am glad i didn't.
You did the right thing getting medical attention after that much exposure. Glad to have given you a heads up on what you were cutting. Save that ivy picture and a picture of yourself for your photo memories
Holy frigging CRAP! Wow that is making me itchy just thinking about it! Glad to hear your gonna be alright, try not to scratch!
I just opened this and squirmed a bit when I saw that first pic. Unmistakable.
Glad you got to the doctor fast ! 3 leaf disasters are the worst poison oak is even worse than Ivy around here.
Screw trimming it......break out the garden sprayer and the roundup! Glad you are ok! Just be aware, that there is probably more around that location. Keep looking, and keep spraying.
Hard way to learn, but I bet you'll NEVER make that mistake again.
Hit it HARD with some Crossbow or other woody brush killer. Roundup will work but be prepared for multiple applications on something that big.
I have started dumping excess woodstove ash, rotting wood, chunks of brick in areas where I know there is poison ivy growing in. It slows it or kills it if you really load it on- but you might need something a bit stronger for THAT bush- wow. Reminds me of the plant from "The Ruins"
Separate names with a comma.