Can I use current SS lined fireplace and hook to insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

rashoultes

Sep 16, 2015
Philadelphia
Hey guys, just joined and wanted to ask a few questions...

Two years ago a I had a 8" SS liner installed and have been burning in my fireplace ever since. I am now looking to have a wood burning insert installed. The chimney/fireplace worker gave me 2 options.

1. Install a new liner and hook it directly to the insert. More $$$ due to installing another liner.

2. Run a small piece of liner from the burner up the flue and the currently installed SS liner will take the exhaust the rest of the way. He could not install this way but if I was looking to save money since I already had a SS liner this way would be fine if I did it. He did say due to creosote buildup that I would need to clean the chimney every year and have the insert pulled out.

Have any of you done your installs this way? Worth it to save the $1500 to install another liner? Any thoughts?

Who wants to deal with potential creosote and associated cleaning? Plus, he couldn't install it that way for good reasons...insurance? regulations? I'd spend the 1500.

You will have a lot of air going through the gap and cooling off the smoke/fumes. Creosote will condense on the upper part of the 8" flue and start dripping and running back down in the summer when it gets warm.
I'm not sure but could you use a 6" to 8" adapter? The pro chimney sweeps on the forum can let you know.
Is the 8" flue insulated?

Unless you make a positive connection, stuffing a piece of 6" liner into the existing 8" liner is essentially a "slammer" type install. The installer you had out won't do it because its not legal and will be a safety problem not to mention what a PITA it would be to have to pull the insert every time you want to clean it.

In addition most (all?) inserts require a 6" liner to run properly. Maybe there's an insert that will run on 8" IDK but to get the full benefit of a fireplace insert I would bite the bullet and put in the new liner.

@Squisher or @bholler can a new 6" be run inside an existing 8" or is that a no go?

You will have a lot of air going through the gap and cooling off the smoke/fumes. Creosote will condense on the upper part of the 8" flue and start dripping and running back down in the summer when it gets warm.
I'm not sure but could you use a 6" to 8" adapter? The pro chimney sweeps on the forum can let you know.
Is the 8" flue insulated?

Its not insulated.