Can you use an existing ash-pit and exterior cleanout with an insert?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

derecskey

Jun 25, 2008
Geauga, OH
Recently had my insert installed in our old open fireplace. Fireplace has a nice big ash pit with an exterior cleanout. It seems like it should be theoretically possible to retrofit the stove to use the existing ashpit. I probably won't do this, but has anybody else had a similar thought or actually done this?

No, you can't.

Modifying your stove is probably frowned upon by both the manufacturer and your insurance company.

Having had an insert in a fireplace and contemplated the convenience of that trap door on a very cold Winter night , the extra work of cleaning out the ash pit in the Spring (looks easy until you actually have to do it) made me don warm Winter clothes. In my case it actually would have ended up more work.
My ash pit was the size of the fireplace though, a smaller one might be more tempting.
Regardless size of pit, it's just time shifting work.

In theory it could be awesome. I had the same thought. The problem is getting a tight enough seal. If any air gets in from the bottom, the stove will overfire in a big hurry. There is just no reliable way to close off all the air if you have that hole in the bottom of your stove. Not worth it.

Patapsco Mike said:
... There is just no reliable way to close off all the air if you have that hole in the bottom of your stove. Not worth it.
I think the hole closes the air, if he makes it just like the free standing stoves use. In fact, forgetting to put that plug back in makes for a runaway fire, they say.
I assume you have an exterior chimney and cleanout. It occurred to me to use it, (somehow), for an outside air kit. My insert has a hook up for it, but decided it isn't worth the trouble. All I can think of is all that cold air being just on the other side of the faceplate.

I could see something like the spring loaded ash-cleanout trap that PE uses maybe working in this situation, but also concur with the general conclusions. You don't want to modify the stove unless really necessary. And it most likely would not be worth the effort.

Status
Not open for further replies.