Cap extra chimney flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

RStrickland

Aug 28, 2017
South Carolina
Hello!

Question I could not find answer for...

I'm about to install a chimney liner is my masonry chimney. But it has (2) 8x13 tiled flues. Should I blockoff the unused flue? I thought about installing a SS sheet metal cap on top? Thoughts?
*I do plan on installing a lower blockoff sheet metal plate for the 6" liner to go through...

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_1572.JPG
    IMG_1572.JPG
    54.8 KB · Views: 86
Hello!

Question I could not find answer for...

I'm about to install a chimney liner is my masonry chimney. But it has (2) 8x13 tiled flues. Should I blockoff the unused flue? I thought about installing a SS sheet metal cap on top? Thoughts?
*I do plan on installing a lower blockoff sheet metal plate for the 6" liner to go through...

Thanks!
Yes! It'll keep the heat in your house instead of up the chimney. Do both the top and bottom. Put insulation (roxul) on top of the plate at the bottom.

Are you sure it's an unused Flue and not for the heating system ?

Yes, if it is unused, it may be drafting replacement air back into the house and could easily, bring the smoke back into the house. If it is for a heating system, then you may wish to extend the 6" liner with a flue extender.