Central Air Project Completed--Just in Time!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thinkxingu

Minister of Fire
Jun 3, 2007
S.NH
Hello All,
First off, thanks all for your help on my central air thread--it's a lot of work trying to sort out the different options.
Second, the install was completed today--just in time, as it reached 81 outside so we could try it out. In March, no less!
Third, a summary--perhaps it'll help people in the future:

• Split-level home with all electric baseboard heat.
  • Added ductwork in attic to only condition top floor (lower level will get dropped air, usually not very hot down there anyway).
  • Went with Trane (XB13 condenser, TAM7 air handler)--only brand I could find no naysayers for (yes, I heard people say they can be expensive to fix, but nobody I found said anything other than that their product is solid, quiet, and built on good research/design info).
  • Both components have 10-year warranty and installer provides 2-years labor.
  • Installer used liquid mastic and mastic tape to seal all joints--solid duct run the length of the attic with short flex duct to the rooms.
  • Used 4-way vents, one in each (two in living) and mostly central in room, since I have a low pitch and getting to edges with 8" duct impossible.
  • One central return, large, in the hallway. Seems to be a bit of pressure, but does not pull doors shut or anything
  • System was tested today--went from 70 to 65 in house in under half an hour with absolute silence (when under the vent I can hear the slightest sound of air moving, and I can't hear the condenser unless I'm outside). Granted, it's only just above 80, but I think that's pretty good.
Please feel free to PM or respond to this thread with questions or comments. We'll see how the system works this summer, but so far I'm very pleased.

S

I'm happy your satisfied!

Great! I have a similar Trane system that is about 4yrs old now and I have had no problems at all.
I figure AC costs me about .50 to .75 a day.

what was the tonnage? gonna go for near HEPA filter on the return?

We just went with a basic filter, and we'll see how it goes from there. As far as sizing, that's a great question: the contractors gave us estimates ranging from 2.5 to 4 ton recommendations. Only one, the one we ended up choosing, said 2. That was because he actually did the manual j calculation, which came out at 1.82 tons. He suggested bumping to 2 because the gear's in the attic.

BTW, the installer did a second check on the freon and showed me that the piping was around 40* and the air coming out of the vents was just about 50*. I appreciated how thorough he was.

S

Status
Not open for further replies.