Certifiable nut looking for a stove (insert?) in south Alabama

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, the "local" stove store that I contacted has not responded to me in three days so I'm writing them off...might be a communications glitch, but probably they heard I was a raving lunatic or something (I wonder who's been spreading rumors again? ;) ).

Anybody know of a store in Birmingham and south here in Alabama? I'm actually about 40 miles south of Montgomery so basically all of south Alabama is fair game for a good store...Montgomery or Dothan would be *real* nice. :)

I did drop a note to "Bollen's in Breman, GA (my wife's sister lives north of there so we *could* make a road trip if we had to...).

I'm ah tryin' figure it out but all this thinkin' is makin' muh head hurtz.

Ed

We have a pretty good stove shop in Huntsville - but this is 15 miles from Tennessee. Probably 250 miles for you. Southern Home and Hearth - if you want to check them out.

dougand3 said:
We have a pretty good stove shop in Huntsville - but this is 15 miles from Tennessee. Probably 250 miles for you. Southern Home and Hearth - if you want to check them out.
Weeee...well, that would be a pretty good road trip there! I'll probably hold off on that one...Birmingham is really about as far as I'd care to go for a stove, though the store over in Georgia would be a side trip from a trip to sister-in-laws house. I'll keep it in mind, though Doug, thanks for the recommendation!

Ed

BeGreen said:
Did you check Lopi's website? They list Top Hat Chimney Sweeps: http://www.hearthshoppe.com/ in Opelika and Colonial Fireplace in Pelham: http://www.colonialfireplace.com/
Yelp, checked the website's dealer finder out. I emailed Colonial just a few minutes ago. Top Hat was the one I emailed this past weekend. Hopefully I'll be hearing from one of them soon.

Take care,
Ed

<sigh> Well, just as I clicked on <SUBMIT> to post the message I received a bounced mail notification about the email I sent to Colonial. They had two address....one address for a Pelham and Robertsdale location and another for their Huntsivlle location. I resent the message to the Huntsville location. We'll see...

We had a Colonial Fireplace branch in Huntsville. I just learned of it 3 months ago - and went by to check them out at that time. The lady in that building wasn't Colonial Fireplace - they just shared office space. She said they just left and went back to Pelham. And they left behind ~ 20 showroom gas fireplaces, all piped in and functioning. Seems like a rather curious business model there.

dougand3 said:
We had a Colonial Fireplace branch in Huntsville. I just learned of it 3 months ago - and went by to check them out at that time. The lady in that building wasn't Colonial Fireplace - they just shared office space. She said they just left and went back to Pelham. And they left behind ~ 20 showroom gas fireplaces, all piped in and functioning. Seems like a rather curious business model there.
Thanks for the info on Colonial. that does sound like a strange business plan...who do ya 'reckon is holding the bag on those gas heaters?

The different dealers that I've emailed have yet to respond to my emails. I've only tried to contact these dealers via email so I probably need to call them...it just aggravates me that they can respond to an email within 5-6 days...why even list an email contact and waste a customer's time writing an inquiry only not to respond? ...that's not a good business plan, either, eh? (I bathed last Saturday night and even put on some smellgood stuff so it can't be my smell...or was that week for'last?)

Ah well, I sent an email off to Travis Industries to see if they could point me in the direction of a dealer. At the minimum it looks like the closest dealer is about 75 miles but I'm willing to travel possibly 150-200 miles for the right deal. The lack of response from the Lopi dealers is beginning to make me wander back to looking back at the Jotuls and other brands again, even considering downsizing the unit a bit to maybe squeeze a freestanding stove in there.

In regards to a chimney liner... I've read a couple of places where folks use perlite(?) to insulate around the liner once it is in place in the masonry chimney but then it seems I've read more places where it appears the installers do not insulate around the liners and that the liner basically supports itself within the masonry chimney . I've yet to inspect my chimney but I've been pretty much thinking of using a double-walled liner. Will I need to do this insulating around the flexible flue? Will the liner "self support" itself? Questions, questions....<sigh> Thanks for putting up with me.

Ed

Well, I finally got someone to respond, here's a direct quote...

"revere insert with door,fan,liner kit,wall panels-$3428.00 plus labor , same unit as freestanding stove-$2646.00 plus stove pipe and labor"

Not overly talkative there, but at least a response. Anybody got any thoughts on that price? I'm a little confused on the "liner kit" part of the first quote. I didn't realize the insert would be more expensive than the stove. ????

Ed

I just thought I was confused when I started looking for a wood burner!!!

My google-fu is great and would seem to put that quote on the high side, but then again you're in freaking alabama and woodstoves aren't really something people are looking for down that way. I would actually call them up, explain you live an hour away and ask them what their prices are and then decide if it's worth the drive. I find that its better to call these guys up for a quote, more and more stove stores in PA are giving out prices over the phone since they know they're competing with the likes of Bass Pro and Cabelas up here. Maybe mention that (or check in with your local bass pro/cabelas).

tiber said:
My google-fu is great and would seem to put that quote on the high side, but then again you're in freaking alabama and woodstoves aren't really something people are looking for down that way. I would actually call them up, explain you live an hour away and ask them what their prices are and then decide if it's worth the drive. I find that its better to call these guys up for a quote, more and more stove stores in PA are giving out prices over the phone since they know they're competing with the likes of Bass Pro and Cabelas up here. Maybe mention that (or check in with your local bass pro/cabelas).

Morning tiber. Yelp, the price quoted above seemed high to me but looks like it is the average quoted price...maybe dictated by the Lopi? I'm afraid that you may be right in inferring that prices in the deep south are going to be higher than they are up north. I was looking at some messages from 2006 and according to what I'm seeing an F3CB has increased in price by about 40% from then (in a northern area) to now (from a quote from Georgia).

Ed

If prices are getting to you, try contacting some Buck dealers in the area. They are made in NC. Good stout stoves. Their dealer locater shows a dealer in Brewton.

There is another option. That would be to tap into the flue above the damper. This would allow a small freestanding stove like you originally wanted. The hearth would need to be extended, but that is not a big deal as long as the hearth requirement is for just a non-combustible hearth.

Well, my head's kinda spinnin' from tryin' to read all the messages on the forum. I'm still bouncing around on what I want to do. Here are a few of my (tormented) thoughts...

* Would love to install a Castine, but I'm afraid clearances will not allow it.

* F3CB is my next choice of a stove, but it will be probably too small, BUT...I live in south Alabama where I don't have to fight 0* temperatures (very often, anyhow). The F3CB should be ok with my clearances with some added heat shields. I like the looks.

* Lopi Revere would probably be the most utilitarian stove, but still the look of the gray steel kind of throws me off. Extending onto the hearth and the 10"(?) cooktop are defintely pluses for it. Still, without the fans running...how well does it heat?

* If I choose a stove I'm pretty sure (in my weeble feeble mind) that it will need to be a rear venting stove....lintel only being 27" high.

* I will have to install a hearth board or build up my present hearth. This will effectively reduce the clearance to the lintel even more.

* Pricing down here in south/central Alabama seem to be at a premium...

So far quotes for Lopi Revere, fan kit, black door, and surround have been $2728, $2680, and $2628. These, I'm sure, are plus tax. I did get one more quote: "revere insert with door,fan,liner kit,wall panels-$3428.00 plus labor , same unit as freestanding stove-$2646.00 plus stove pipe and labor". I'm not sure how to take that last one...didn't seem like much information or inspiration to sell me a stove.

As for quotes on an F3CB I haven't been able to get many so far. I've gotten a quote of $1727 for a matte black F3 and $2065 for the blue-black enamel.

One place has quoted me $25 per foot for flexible liner (but no description/brand given). Another place stated that they wouldn't quote me on liner material until they do a "Level II" video inspection of my chimney for $299.

So's....that's what I've come up with so far. I've got a couple of companies that I'm talking with that actually seem to understand somewhat about installation, etc.,. I had one that send me a disjointed (probably would have done good texting on a cellphone..."U NEED WUD HEET IT GRATE"...here's a quoted line from that email..."the advantage of a free standing is the radiant heat and if your clearances are very tight then you can opt for a bigger model."....huh???

Anyhow, I'm trying to figure out the lay of the land and have a few brain cells left to work with. I'm hopefully going up to measure chimney top to hearth distance this weekend.

Little wheels are turning in my head...those mice are gonna get tired sooner or later, though...
Ed

* If I choose a stove I’m pretty sure (in my weeble feeble mind) that it will need to be a rear venting stove….lintel only being 27” high.

The F3CB is a decent little heater. Rear vent height of 25 9/16" looks like it will just squeak under the 27" lintel. For a comparison price, give Preston Trading Post in CT a call.

[email protected]

BeGreen said:
If prices are getting to you, try contacting some Buck dealers in the area. They are made in NC. Good stout stoves. Their dealer locater shows a dealer in Brewton.

There is another option. That would be to tap into the flue above the damper. This would allow a small freestanding stove like you originally wanted. The hearth would need to be extended, but that is not a big deal as long as the hearth requirement is for just a non-combustible hearth.
Howdy BG.

The price is important, of course, but I'm willing to pay for what I want...I just don't want to be held-up at stovepoint if you know what I mean.

Looking at the Buck Stoves I think I'd want to go with an insert with that brand. Could the Buck inserts be extended out into the room (kind of a Lopi Revere look)?

I've pondered the idea of going in above the fireplace (would solve a lot of issues and I like that look), but I"m a bit hesitant about that big of a modification...definitely not a DIY for me. Do you think there would be enough room to tap into the flue and keep the mantel...with heat shield and double-wall pipe?

Ed

The Buck website is a little confusing, but the model 21 and 74 can be ordered as inserts. How far forward it can project into the room is a matter of the liner connection alignment.

As to a thimble penetration on the face, if below the mantel it would depend on the location of the top of the damper shelf. It might be close, but it looks like you have enough room to have the double-wall connector more than 6" below the mantel. If that is the case, no mantel shield needed.

BeGreen said:
* If I choose a stove I’m pretty sure (in my weeble feeble mind) that it will need to be a rear venting stove….lintel only being 27” high.

The F3CB is a decent little heater. Rear vent height of 25 9/16" looks like it will just squeak under the 27" lintel. For a comparison price, give Preston Trading Post in CT a call.

[email protected]
Yelp, the F3CB would slip under the lintel ok. Looks like they carry roughly a $300 premium down this way...it must be from a stronger magnetic force on my billfold since I'm closer to the equator. So far I've been quoted *only* $100 over retail price on the blue/black F3 (I'd hate to see what they charge during the winter!). :-/

I'm beginning to think about gettin' a 55-gallon drum and setting it up on cement blocks.<sigh>

Ed

The blue-black F3CB is what we had. It's a sharp looking little stove. We paid $1349 in 2005 for it.

BeGreen said:
The blue-black F3CB is what we had. It's a sharp looking little stove. We paid $1349 in 2005 for it.
Hmm, only 53% more here in south Alabama five years later....I tell ya, I'm getting a warm fuzzy feeling all over me just thinking about it.

Yelp, the blue/black is a good looking stove...from the pics that I've seen. I'm thinking that the (much) better half will be happier with the enamel in regards to wipe it and forget it kind of surface cleaning. ;) I've read some of your experiences about the F3 and have lodged the issue of the top needing to be correctly positioned...lodged the info between some lobes of my brain (well they used to be lobes, now they're more like over ripe cantalopes that have sat in the field too long).

Ed

Ouch. Part of that is the dollar's devaluation vs the euro. My wife and I both loved the blue-black enameling on the Jotuls. It's understated, elegant and stands up well. We miss it on the Alderlea. Funny you found the old thread on the top. The removable top is gasketed and is one of the nice features, it makes for easier cleaning. Just be sure there aren't any melons in the stove before putting the top back on.

BeGreen said:
Ouch. Part of that is the dollar's devaluation vs the euro. My wife and I both loved the blue-black enameling on the Jotuls. It's understated, elegant and stands up well. We miss it on the Alderlea. Funny you found the old thread on the top. The removable top is gasketed and is one of the nice features, it makes for easier cleaning. Just be sure there aren't any melons in the stove before putting the top back on.

Yelp, inflation and devaluation causes all kinds of ills.

The thread about the F3CB's crooked top is a very helpful one. I wonder how many folks have raised cane with their dealer because of it...

My stove hunt is beginning to take on a dismal look. I've contacted most every dealer within a 150 miles from here, even as far as Atlanta and NE Alabama...either they don't respond to emails, don't answer their phone, price me above retail, or tell me they quit handling Jotul because ______. Honestly, the last one I talked with should've had "Duelin' Banjos" playin' in the background...and he wasn't anywhere near a mountain. As much as I'd like to get a F3CB I may have to go for something else or just put off the wood burning adventure. I'm beginning to think that south Alabama isn't the place to shop for a stove...unless you want a Lowes or Home Depot one...which might not be a bad idea.

...who knows,...I think I found an email address for Jotul so I might bend their ear a little...for what good it will do. I wonder if Jotul has a "hit list"...ah well, it won't be the first list I've made it on.

Ed

If your going to build or extend the hearth you may want to consider a Woodstock keystone or Palladian. It's a side loader so you would need 16" side clearance but only 8" in front. My rear exhaust is 27" high but Woodstock says if it's tight they can lower it an inch or so to make it work. I paid $2079 for mine but with the tax credit it comes to $1455 and you can also include flue system as well as hearth. I think a soapstone cat stove would be a good fit for a southern boy. I used to live in Mobile and they had a fireplace shop there and sold a few stoves so they do burn wood in the deep south.

Yeah if you don't want a steel stove, which I just cannot imagine, then a Woodstock stove is the best bet. No worrying about finding a dealer to buy the stove from or to handle any issues you might have with it along the way.

+1 for a cat stove for relatively mild winters. The only problem with Woodstock is that they want to deliver to a freight depot, so you might have to drive to the city to pick it up. However, they will deliver to any business with a loading dock, so if you have a local feed & seed, hardware store, etc. who will do you a favor, you'd be set.

Den said:
+1 for a cat stove for relatively mild winters. The only problem with Woodstock is that they want to deliver to a freight depot, so you might have to drive to the city to pick it up. However, they will deliver to any business with a loading dock, so if you have a local feed & seed, hardware store, etc. who will do you a favor, you'd be set.

Any place with a fork lift will do just fine. I have a manual lift that I just take down to the road, crank up the forks and take the stuff off the truck. Never had any complaints from any freight company. Darn thing cost me a hundred bucks at a bankruptcy sale 10 years ago and has paid for itself many times over in reduced delivery charges.

Status
Not open for further replies.