Chain for Husky Rancher 55?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Intheswamp

Jun 25, 2010
South Central Alabama
I just got off the phone with Baileys and the nice lady there quoted me this chain for my Rancher 55:

18" WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain Loop (30RC-68 Drive Links) #WPL 30RC68
This is a chisel chain and is stated as being for clean conditions and is there most popular chain.

This chain below is a semi-chisel and their ad says it's good for dirty conditions.
18" WoodlandPRO Chainsaw Chain Loop (30SC-68 Drive Links) #WPL 30SC68

She said the WoodlandPro was a harder steel and would stay sharper longer...???

I'm no pro but have used saws off and on for the last 30 years and have had the 55 for the last 6-7(?) years (got it new). I'll be mostly cutting oak and pecan with some southern pine thrown in there to see what it's all about (you know you're not supposed to burn pine...right? :) ) But seriously, I've got some live and bug-killed pine that I might cut to get a jump on some seasoned wood.

Anyhow, anybody wanta give me an opinion on whether these chains are what I need or if I should just go with the chisel?....or the semi-chisel?

Thanks!
Ed

PS...I'll be needing to order in a few hours.

I use a lot of woodland pro everything is correct but the sharpening part I dont think its as hard as stihl chain.

smokinjay said:
I use a lot of woodland pro everything is correct but the sharpening part I dont think its as hard as stihl chain.
Thanks smokinjay. Like I said, I'm no pro...do you think I would notice the difference between the chisel and the semi-chisel?? Also, do these take the standard 7/32" file?

Thanks!
Ed

They are good chains........ take the ladies advice and buy the one that fits your cutting conditions. I run the full chisel for my firewood cutting which does include some dirty wood. You won't go wrong with either.

I ended up buying one of the semi-chisels (in case of muddy conditions) and two of the full chisels...and a few other items. I think I'll be set for a while now. Thanks for the help, ya'll.

Ed

Status
Not open for further replies.