1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

change power companies in PA?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by maverick06, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Redbarn

Redbarn Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE PA
    Our March Bill arrived this morning.

The Reliant rate is $0.06889810 per kWh
    The use of 8 decimal places amuses me !

The Met Ed compare rate is $0.0887

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    New bill arrived, as expected from media reports, my PECO price to compare jumped a penny to 9.61 cents (i.e. not including delivery). My PA wind power (under 24 mo contract) is now 1.16 cents/kWh cheaper than my conventional excelon power. With my thirsty HPs and all electric house, that saves me about $200 AND ~10 tons of CO2 per year. :cool:
    Redbarn likes this.
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Looks great.

I just switched (in progress) from Constellation power to ?? a United Airlines connected supplier. I get 12,500 miles, about 1/2 a ticket, so that is worth about $200 on my next flight I don't have to buy. I run a geothermal hp, that's my 20+ year contribution to lowering my electric bill and CO2.
    woodgeek likes this.
  4. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    PECO price structure has changed....they dropped their generation a penny (saving me nothing, but making them more competitive) and boosted their distribution by 2 cents. The price of wind power has also climbed (for new customers), but my contract price is still 0.2 cents cheaper than PECO. So, I got 2 mos of decent savings for switching ($40), but am still saving the CO2. Mischief managed.
  5. Laszlo

Laszlo New Member

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Just got our second bill since our switch to wind. Looks like we lucked out by locking in 36 months at 8.28¢/kWh. We would have made the switch to wind power anyway, even if marginally more expensive--but I certainly won't complain that the last two months were our lowest electric bills in the last 6 years. :cool:

While the online sign-up was very easy, I was annoyed with PA's requirement of a "16 day rule", which delayed our switch by another month. I submitted my switch request March 3, but apparently not soon enough to affect my March 19 meter reading. As a result, we got a taste of PECO's 9.61¢/kWh rate in April, and had to wait 47 days before starting to pay the reduced price.

But we saved $13.10 for May (1.33¢/kWh), and now with PECO's shift of costs from generation to distribution, only $3.19 in June. The real savings for us will come in winter with our heat pump in heavy use, and several years down the road when I bet PECO's prices will be much higher. For reference, when they started listing the "Price to Compare" on our bill in 2011, the generation cost was only 3.78¢/kWh... :eek:
    PECO's Price to Compare.png
    woodgeek likes this.