1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

change power companies in PA?

Post in 'The Green Room' started by maverick06, Dec 1, 2012.

1. Redbarn

Redbarn Burning Hunk

Loc:
    SE PA
    Our March Bill arrived this morning.

The Reliant rate is $0.06889810 per kWh
    The use of 8 decimal places amuses me !

The Met Ed compare rate is $0.0887

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    New bill arrived, as expected from media reports, my PECO price to compare jumped a penny to 9.61 cents (i.e. not including delivery). My PA wind power (under 24 mo contract) is now 1.16 cents/kWh cheaper than my conventional excelon power. With my thirsty HPs and all electric house, that saves me about $200 AND ~10 tons of CO2 per year. :cool:
    Redbarn likes this.
  3. Jerry_NJ

Jerry_NJ Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey USA
    Looks great.

I just switched (in progress) from Constellation power to ?? a United Airlines connected supplier. I get 12,500 miles, about 1/2 a ticket, so that is worth about $200 on my next flight I don't have to buy. I run a geothermal hp, that's my 20+ year contribution to lowering my electric bill and CO2.
    woodgeek likes this.
  4. woodgeek

woodgeek Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SE PA
    PECO price structure has changed....they dropped their generation a penny (saving me nothing, but making them more competitive) and boosted their distribution by 2 cents. The price of wind power has also climbed (for new customers), but my contract price is still 0.2 cents cheaper than PECO. So, I got 2 mos of decent savings for switching ($40), but am still saving the CO2. Mischief managed.
  5. Laszlo

Laszlo New Member

Loc:
    Pennsylvania
    Just got our second bill since our switch to wind. Looks like we lucked out by locking in 36 months at 8.28¢/kWh. We would have made the switch to wind power anyway, even if marginally more expensive--but I certainly won't complain that the last two months were our lowest electric bills in the last 6 years. :cool:

While the online sign-up was very easy, I was annoyed with PA's requirement of a "16 day rule", which delayed our switch by another month. I submitted my switch request March 3, but apparently not soon enough to affect my March 19 meter reading. As a result, we got a taste of PECO's 9.61¢/kWh rate in April, and had to wait 47 days before starting to pay the reduced price.

But we saved $13.10 for May (1.33¢/kWh), and now with PECO's shift of costs from generation to distribution, only $3.19 in June. The real savings for us will come in winter with our heat pump in heavy use, and several years down the road when I bet PECO's prices will be much higher. For reference, when they started listing the "Price to Compare" on our bill in 2011, the generation cost was only 3.78¢/kWh... :eek:
    PECO's Price to Compare.png
    woodgeek likes this.