Chase Construction on new construction home

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sconnie Burner

Feeling the Heat
Aug 23, 2014
Western Wi
Going to possibly have an exterior chase built on my new construction home as long as the builder agrees. Woodstove is going to be in the basement on the overhang side of the roof. What are some suggestions from you guys with previous experience? And from you installers as well. How big should I build it, pipe clearances are 2-2.5" but what is the average size you guys see. Are they insulated? Obviously would add a trap door for clean out T access, where and what to use for that? Any other tips and pointers appreciated.

Last edited:
An 18" x 18" to a 24" x 24 is pretty common, larger if you are also using it for a furnace, boiler or water heater vent. You may want to have a little room for minor maintenance. I would definitely go with a Stainless Steel chase cover, never galvanized, they will rust and give you problems. You can get them with diagonal creases along the top to help with water run off, Skirt along the sides with drip edges, and collars around the hole to prevent any water from dripping into the chase from the hole.

Status
Not open for further replies.