Checking Smoke Opacity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

How often do you check your smoke output?

• Maybe once a day. I know whether the stove is working properly.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
No need to go outside to look when you've got this:
511074_caf75f51481dcc670de3da7efe976eff.jpg

Treacherous said:
Now how much does one of those set you back? :)

pgmr said:
No need to go outside to look when you've got this:

Can't answer that...I don't have one. But if I DID, I'd never have to go outside to look at the chimney! :)

If I'm not occupied by something I'll look a lot. If I get a little smoke that means I have some bridging of the fire wood and I'll
go stir it. It's probably really not necessary and would go away how in about 5 min when the wood falls. It don't happen very often but it's almost an obsession for me to not have any smoke come from the chimney. I can see my stack from in the house, but
I voted for when I'm outside.

I really don't have to run out and look at the flue. When the stove is running as it should there is a smell from the flue when secondary burn is taking place that is hard to describe. There was a post about the same thing on here somewhere. All I have to do is open the back door and if I smell it, I know there is no smoke. I have a feeling anyone who read this is going to think I'm nuts!!

BeGreen said:
Agreed, this is a wood-burning enthusiasts community. I not only look at our stack, I look at most everyone else's too.
+ 1.....WELL SAID!! ;-P

wkpoor said:
OMG I'm outa here. This forum is officially over the top. Can't to tell my wood boiler buddies this one. They already think I'm a geek just for being on the forum.

Ha! Somebody that hosts parties for people to cut slices off the ends of logs with hot rodded chainsaws talking about geeks. :lol: :coolsmirk: :lol:

BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:
OMG I'm outa here. This forum is officially over the top. Can't to tell my wood boiler buddies this one. They already think I'm a geek just for being on the forum.

Ha! Somebody that hosts parties for people to cut slices off the ends of logs with hot rodded chainsaws talking about geeks. :lol: :coolsmirk: :lol:
WK, you gotta admit BB has a VALID POINT there..... %-P

Scotty Overkill said:
BrotherBart said:
wkpoor said:

WK, you gotta admit BB has a VALID POINT there..... %-P
Thats not geek that manly! If thats geeky then racing in fast cars in a circle is too. Then pulling a sled with a hot rodded tractor just to see how far you can pull it is geeky too. Bart, I would like too see you come to a chainsaw race and tell those big burly guys they are geeky. Something tells me your geekometer is displaced!

I can tell ya THIS boy doesn't need to race chainsaws to feel manly.....but I sure enjoy cutting wood!! ;-)

I can see the chimney through the skylight in my kitchen and judge by what's coming out whether it's time to close the damper.

Jim

jbrown56 said:
I can see the chimney through the skylight in my kitchen and judge by what's coming out whether it's time to close the damper.

Jim
Oh great....now I can't decide between moving the chimney or cutting in a new skylight.

The name WoodpileOCD is already taken. ;-) Maybe some of you should think about SmokestackOCD.

Smokestack Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
Once the smokestack has achieved a steady state and is drafting well, the tendency of the caretaker to obsessively view, think about, brag on, and stream the 'work of art' to his or her TV set.

Don't want to name any names but the initials Treacherous come to mind. :smirk:

In the first year I would often go outside specifically to check the chimney . . . now I just find myself glancing up at it as I pull away to go to work, when I come home from work and when I'm working outside or soaking in the hot tub. I don't obsess about it . . . but I do find it annoys me if I discover I have a little smoke showing (often because I've closed down the air too soon or too much.)

Oh yeah . . . I also cannot help but look at other people's chimneys . . . I'm pretty sure that breaks one of the Ten Commandments . . . maybe not . . . I'm not coveting my neighbor's chimney . . . just looking . . . that probably violates some anti-stalker or peeping Tom laws though.

I like going outside late on a calm, moonlit night, when the moon is angled behind the chimney just right, and seeing the slight wisp of smoke flowing with the steady stream of heat vapor high out of the chimney silhouetted by the moonlight. I've gone so far as to try to catch that moment on camera to no avail.....yes, that's how obsessed I am with heating with wood! :smirk:

I occasionally look at the chimney when outdoors but many times I just don't even look. However, if smoke is coming out I will notice it and immediately go inside to see of the wife has recently reloaded the stove and that is what normally happens.

Actually, we perhaps pay less attention to our stove than most folks do but that is because we've burned wood for a few years now and know when it is really important to look at the stove.

Scotty Overkill said:
I like going outside late on a calm, moonlit night, when the moon is angled behind the chimney just right, and seeing the slight wisp of smoke flowing with the steady stream of heat vapor high out of the chimney silhouetted by the moonlight. I've gone so far as to try to catch that moment on camera to no avail.....yes, that's how obsessed I am with heating with wood! :smirk:

I did this very thing a couple of moons ago. Froze my butt fooling with the tripod in the dark etc. Not one picture showed the shimmer visible against the moon.

Scotty Overkill said:
BeGreen said:
Agreed, this is a wood-burning enthusiasts community. I not only look at our stack, I look at most everyone else's too.
+ 1.....WELL SAID!! ;-P

+2

I try to be considerate to the neighbors so I can look down my nose at the bad actors without being a hypocrite.

I have been checking much more often this season than ever with the warm temps and some Stainless Steele CAT issues. I do not like smoking out my neighbors. Its bad enough that they have to deal with the stink of the seasoning Red Oak out back.

between looking at the stack and checking the stove with the IR thermometer i am definitely driving my wife nuts :)

Status
Not open for further replies.