1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmlarson

jmlarson New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    Does anyone in central PA burn cherry pits. i have a quad mt vernon AE...runs like a dream and heats even better. Was going to try and burn pits. We have local dealer here that sells them but wanted to get some more pricing. Gotta love competition.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. smirnov3

smirnov3 Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    Just curious - how much are the pits?
  3. jmlarson

jmlarson New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    they are selling for 150.00 a ton. vs. 190.00 a ton for pellets. Pits come in one big 1 ton container though. need to store...vs. pellets in the standard 40 lb. bags.
  4. mgambuzza

mgambuzza Member

Loc:
    Syracuse, NY
    Can anyone out there who are using Cherry Pits comment on the formation of clinkers - especially if they're using a Quadrafire Castile? Also - what is the BTU difference between Cherry Pits and wood pellets (I know they're about 8500- 9600BTUs). That seems to be a dynamite price if all factors are in the positive.
  5. moralleper

moralleper New Member

Loc:
    Kalama, WA
    I would not burn cherry pits unless your stove is a biomass stove. if you do a search on filbert shells on the forum you should be able to find one that I posted a while back and mountainstoveguy responded about it.

edit - i did the search for the thread, http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/6697/
  6. smirnov3

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    you CAN control feed rate to cumbustion air ratio on a Harmon stove.
  7. jmlarson

jmlarson New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    Burning the latest and greatest Mt Vernon AE here.
  8. jmlarson

jmlarson New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    Well....i picked up 1 ton of those cherry pits on thursday night. WOW...what a mistake that was. they burn like crap. they come in a large bag that you need to seperate them from and store. the bag was wet. the pits were a mix of wet and dry depending were they where in the bag. some have a moldy, musty smell to them. i am mixing them with pellets at about 80 pits/20 pellets. not putting off much heat though. going to pick up some pellets to mix a higher ratio i believe. any imput or thoughts on this matter.
  9. smirnov3

Loc:
    Eastern Ma
    did the dealer specify that these were for burning? if he did, get him to come pick them up & give you your money back. Just like if you bought wet pellets
  10. jmlarson

jmlarson New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    Well here is the update. Waited a week and after very little dry out I took a small bag into the dealer. He gave me 35 bags of Wood Pellets. At 4.28 a bag that equals the price of the cherry pits. Makes me alittle happier. Almost 3/4 of a ton. I am not burning the pits and pellets at a 50/50 mix or close to it. Burning good now.
  11. tinkabranc

tinkabranc Minister of Fire

Loc:
    South Coast MA
    You are or are not mixing them in the pellets? Just curious
  12. jmlarson

jmlarson New Member

Loc:
    Central, PA
    i am mixing them at this time. buring good but not like i would like.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.