chicken for 40!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be nice to find a more 'neutral' spot, somewhere that we could all meet. I don't have much ground here at my place, we could find a member somewhere in the center of us all that maybe has a little ground (or a place we could hang out), and he/she could be the lucky recipient of a keyhole pit courtesy of the gang. We could do some cutting, cooking, whatever......make a weekend out of it (I'm all for camping in the tent), I don't mind traveling either. Lets discuss it some more and go from there. I'll bring some tools for the stonework, a couple of my saws, my cooking skills on the pit. Let's make it happen.

the garlic/cider spray sounds great - Is that a PA thing - never heard of it before. great way to do chicken

That does sound good. I'm gonna have to try it.

My go-to for chicken is to brine it in 4 cups water, 1/4 cup kosher salt, 1/4 cup brown sugar, a couple diced jalapenos and a crap load of garlic for 2 hours. That brine works good for just about any protein...

Reactions: Thistle and ScotO
I think the cutting would really narrow it down to the folks who have land or "woods". Scotty, I say a new thread should be created to enhance visibility of idea.

Reactions: ScotO
Hmmmm..gonna hafta try me some of that garlic vinegar chicken parts. Sounds tasty.

Hmmmm..gonna hafta try me some of that garlic vinegar chicken parts. Sounds tasty.
You're a man who knows his food Jags....I can tell by some of the good stuff you mention on here. You will not be dissappointed. This spray is nothing fancy, but when you cook it on a hardwood fire it makes it taste awesome. It's the only way I do my chicken on the fire (unless we are talking about wings, that's a whole different monster!)

Vinegar chicken is officially on the menu for tonight.

Tell me how you like it! Don't be afraid to spray it good.

I'll report back, don't worry about that!

These are home-grown birds that are pretty tasty all by themselves (Cornish X butchered at 7 weeks)...hoping they will be outstanding with the garlic and vinegar (which are pretty much the two main ingredients in my BBQ sauce anyway).

Also grilling a ton of veggies out of the garden too. Shaping up to be a good $3 meal.

Gonna have to try that - did a boyscout fundraiser where we grilled and sold 600 half chickens. used a 50' x 4' VFW pit. Only being here 12 years, i was not allowed to cook, just flip the racks....
Commonly done down here by VFW's churches, schools. Usually good chicken with a cider vinegar based sauce, wrapped in foil and sold out of coolers in parking lots, at HS football games and such

But not very garlicky. love me some garlic. Great idea!

Local snowmobile club does a chicken BBQ in the Winter . . . their "special sauce" is a combination of cooking oil and vinegar. Simple and tasty.

Yeah Buddy, That looks great......Next time send an invite, with plenty of notice of course ;)

That chicken basting with vinager and garlic over a bed of hardwood coals looks so good. And then add grilled fresh summer vegetables from the garden! Good mood, good taste, good for you. As good as it gets. Enjoy the pit and gathering of family and friends.

It's really simple, but really good! Until I get me a wood-fired pizza oven like fishinpol's, It'll have to do......;)

Ya know, I'd probably not make this chicken if I saw it in a recipe book. After all this talk on how good it is, I will try it. This style must be a regional thing.

The firepits are going in quicker than the wood ovens this summer. I can't wait to see other finished ovens...or firepits.

Before I ruin a load of chicken, so you use wine vinegar or malt vinegar?

It has been raining all day, and will be cooking indoors, it was sunny for the last 2 weeks, now back to rain again........

All those overseas visitors must have taken the sun back home with them......... ;)

Before I ruin a load of chicken, so you use wine vinegar or malt vinegar?

It has been raining all day, and will be cooking indoors, it was sunny for the last 2 weeks, now back to rain again........

All those overseas visitors must have taken the sun back home with them......... ;)

I used apple cider vinegar.

Had a family reunion of sorts yesterday, hotter than hell out but still had a great time! Fired up the pit and cooked around 30lbs of thighs and drumsticks over a mix of applewood and white oak. That's my Dad in the one pic, this is his favorite way to cook chicken, hands down! He was salivating over it while cooking on the pit! We use a garlic/apple cider vinegar spray on the chicken, every time we flip it, we spray the vinegar on, every other flip it gets some garlic powder sprinkled on. Absolutely fantastic!! Took a couple pics of the chicken cooking and the damm battery died on my phone.....enjoy!
Get out of the insulation, the board is getting hungry so what is going on the pit next?

zap

Get out of the insulation, the board is getting hungry so what is going on the pit next?

zap
we were gonna do some hot wings on the pit this evening, but mother nature decided to make it rain pretty good today......:mad::(. May try it again tomorrow or Sunday. Just spent the whole day today at my buddy's sawmill, cutting all those poplar and white oak logs from the valley job I did last month. Ended up with a pile of boards!

Reactions: zap
So far today the rain has held off, looks like tonight we might get some but the rest of the week looks great. Sounds like you had a good day at the mill, any pics?

I'll be looking forward to the food pics if you get a chance, I'm not sure yet what we will use for cooking but I have an idea it will be just like my FIL did at camp.

zap

So far today the rain has held off, looks like tonight we might get some but the rest of the week looks great. Sounds like you had a good day at the mill, any pics?

I'll be looking forward to the food pics if you get a chance, I'm not sure yet what we will use for cooking but I have an idea it will be just like my FIL did at camp.

zap
I'll post a new thread of the milling done today in the wood shed forum here in a few....

Reactions: zap
Status
Not open for further replies.