Chimeny ? stainless steel or clay pipe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kayakkeith

Sep 20, 2010
West Virginia
So my chimney is made of concrete blocks with clay interior - that is clay or whatever that orange pipe is.
Its about 30 feet tall on outside of house
Was thinking about adding a stainless steel liner after this season - what would that give me as far as stove performance

I know it would last alot longer then the other set up but just starting to think about what other advantages it would bring - Thanks in advance for answers

What is your current flue cross-section?

One advantage could be matching that cross-section to what your stove wants.

An insulated stainless steel liner would do for you what it's done for me. It will improve your stove performance, allowing you to control the burn better, shut down the air intake earlier and conserve some wood.

Best of all, I put my stainless liner in my exterior chimney and burned last year. After 5+ cord shoved through it my sweep climbed up, looked down that stainless liner, put the cap back on, climbed down and said 'call me after next year'.

I have an 8" x 12" clay flue, I put in a 5.5" s/s liner and insulated it as that was the only size that would fit. Night and day difference. Should have done it years ago. Seeing both before and after made me a believer. Draft control works great now and secondaries light off without a hitch.

Looks like you have a stove with a 6" flue. Id measure the inside of the clay tile. I'm guessing its whats called an 8x8 tile which should have an inside measurement of 6.5x6.5" If thats the case, a 6" liner should fit down there ok providing your tiles arent staggered. A stainless liner will heat up faster, which will keep the chimney cleaner. Also, smoke spirals kinda as it rises, making a round chimney better than a squared one. In my opinion, a liner will make the chimney safer, cleaner and help the stove perform better.

So is it better to do flexible or rigid - or does it really matter? Also and brands better then others or most all okay??

Status
Not open for further replies.