Chimney damage?? What to look for??

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Paechoman

Dec 17, 2019
Pennsylvania
New member here, hope somebody can answer a question for me. For a bit of background, I have an Englander 30 woodstove and duraplus triplewall chimney, installed when I built the house March of 2019, stove is in finished basement, doublewall stovepipe from stove, to thru the wall install of duraplus that then goes up outside my house. It has been burning well for me, and I cleaned chimney last may, and then again just last week. (Didn't get much but a little bit of shiny black flakes either time). On to the issue, I came home from work today to my wife telling me she had a "roaring good fire going" earlier and house was toasty (she was very proud of herself). I asked and she mentioned that the stove got to 500 and she turned the air back the whole way and she thought she checked it later and it didn't get much hotter, sounds ok so far I'm thinking, I went down to see if I needed to add wood and in horror realized she hadn't shut the door completely tightly, latch had engaged somewhat, but my guess is a dollar bill would not be held by it, so, armed with the knowledge that our stove may have been overfired due to air leak at the door, I checked it to the best of my ability and found no readily apparent cracked welds, sagging airtubes, etc. My question is how/ what do I look for on the chimney to see if it is damaged? I can easily look up it thru service port at the bottom of the thru wall "T", just not sure what if anything to look for,. Any tips would be extremely helpful, (plus, anybody got an idea on how to mount a padlock on a woodstove door? )

I have a 30. The door latch is a ramped affair so even the weight of the handle is enough to make a good enough seal. Remember, there are three other full throttle openings letting air into the fire.

I wouldn’t worry unless the paint is cooked off.

Reactions: Ludlow and moresnow
I concur. Is your connector discolored? Stovetop discolored? Doubt it. Relax and burn on my friend!

Dura-Plus is good pipe. One of the advantages of the DP over a pack chimney is that the liner can expand freely as it heats up. I doubt any damage was done.

Dura-Plus is good pipe. One of the advantages of the DP over a pack chimney is that the liner can expand freely as it heats up. I doubt any damage was done.
Double wall can do that as well. I agree there was probably no damage done. But the only advantage of duraplus is the price

When my wife did the same, the whole garage was filled with burning paint smell and I measured the STT above 900°F. It stunk bad.

If you didnt smell anything, doubt it got much hotter than normal.

I start my 30 by leaving the door open to where when it gets going good enough the draft closes the door automatically. Not hand pressing the latch tight, but snugged.