1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Chimney extention.

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by clemsonfor, Dec 2, 2012.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Greenwood county, SC
    Here is a question I have. I burned my farm stove for the first time in cooler/cold weather. II have a few problems first I know the wood I was burning was not near ready, but also the chimney is a bit short at somewhere around 13ft tall.

I think I need to extend the chimney taller to get a bit better draft. I have a 6" liner that ends in a top plate and normal cap that came with the package. I have heard folks on here say I can extend it upward with a class A chimney. My question is how do you do that? The inner diameter of the flexliner is 6"s right, which sits down in the top plate which my guess to be a 6.5" or so inner diameter. IF I cut the liner flush with the top cap (right now it protrudes 5"s or so maybe 3"s from the top plate.) and slip the A pipe into the liner, what holds the A pipe to the top, since it does not lock to the top plate?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. chimneylinerjames

chimneylinerjames Feeling the Heat

You would need to discard the top plate and cap for the liner. Purchase an anchor plate, this will anchor into the concrete chimney. You need to purchase one with a liner coupler on the bottom of it. Sometimes they need to be made custom, but available. This will attach to the liner on the underside then give you a male end for the class A pipe to lock into. Then you would need to purchase a new rain cap and depending on the height of the Class A, roof support brackets.

Personally, I know it is harder work but I would extend the chimney using chimney block. It will be cheaper than using class A. This way you could purchase just a liner coupler and a length of 6" liner and you could reuse the same top plate and cap.
  3. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
  4. WellSeasoned

WellSeasoned Guest