chimney glazed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kevinmerchant

Jul 29, 2009
Cheshire, CT
My chimney is glazed . I had it cleaned but they did not remove the glazed part. Is ok to reline with stainless or should it be removed before relining.

It has to be removed. A glazed creosote coated chimney is a recipe for disaster with a hot flue liner in it because of the high potential that the heat from the liner will ignite the creosote.

I would get a third opinion

my opinion is that the glaze is a very thin coating that is in every chimney that has been used(do we expect them to look like new construction after cleaning?)

anything thicker than this thin hard coating should be gone with cleaning.

A good third through twentieth opinion is contained in the installation instructions for every chimney liner sold. In other words, ignore that part of the instructions and the warranty and the UL listing go right out the window.

Attachments

• tarcreosote.jpg
    tarcreosote.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 823
Are you saying that the instructions for liners is to completely remove the glaze. What are you recommendation's. I've talk to 4 different chimney sweeps and they all had different methods and tools for striping glaze.

It must be removed before installing the liner. Left in there, it's a just asking for disaster. Pick a sweep and let them take care of it however they choose to do so, it's there problem at that point... as long as they get the job done.

I thought sweeps use sodium hydroxide (caustic) to break down the glazed creosote...

Not to contradict the experts but-

When I brushed my flue for 28 years before the liner was installed ( with the new stove), there was always a hard shiny glaze left.

Never had a hint of a chimney fire.

gerry100 said:
Not to contradict the experts but-

When I brushed my flue for 28 years before the liner was installed ( with the new stove), there was always a hard shiny glaze left.

Never had a hint of a chimney fire.

I don't see any contradiction there at all.

gerry100 said:
My confusion is , why shouldn't the hard glaze inside a chimney not be a hazard but when it's separated from the exhaust by a liner it is?

Because the heat from the liner can ignite the creosote. Which is, at that point, confined by the top plate. Therefore, the blast has nowhere to go but down into the living space. I don't know where to find it but a lady that owns a stove dealership was for a while a member of the forum and related an instance of a lined chimney lighting off with glaze in it and blowing the bricks apart.

Do what you are/wanna do. Just don't expect the liner manufacturer, the National Fire Protection Association, your local building inspector, your insurance company, your fire department or any reputable chimney professional to bless it.

As to "why shouldn't the hard glaze inside a chimney not be a hazard", it is a hazard. I don't know any sane chimney sweep that would say it isn't. That picture of a glazed flue in my post above is MY own flue. And I have had chimney fires in that flue. They are not entertaining.

Status
Not open for further replies.