chimney in garage

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

aknight

Dec 11, 2007
East Central IN
I have a chimny in my garage i've been thinking about putting a wood stove in it. the chimney is a masonary liner with brick around. it runs all the way down to the ground with a cleanout at the bottom. I found one small hairline crack in the liner and it is on the outside wall of the chimney. Only one wall of it is against the building. the other three are on the exterior of the building. my question is should i use this or put aliner down and if so what type. I assume stainless but what brand is suggested if any. Thanks

Wood stoves and solid fuel burning devices are forbiden for garage installs. unless you are going to do an unpermitted install you wont pull it off. and it really isnt safe

If the garage is attached to the house, it's usually not permitted to have a stove in the garage.

If this is a separate out building then it's ok, but one should still be very careful with combustibles like gasoline, etc. in the building. As to the question, what size is the clay liner? Cracks are all too common and will likely get worse due to the extreme temp changes running the stove and then back to outdoor ambient temps. A liner will likely make the stove behave better and offers more peace of mind regarding the flue.

nshif said:
Wood stoves and solid fuel burning devices are forbiden for garage installs. unless you are going to do an unpermitted install you wont pull it off. and it really isnt safe

So propane or oil fired heating stoves are OK for garages but not solid-fuel units?

If the building is insured against fire, best to talk to your insurance broker. They have the final say as to what they'll allow.

I installed a stove in a shop, and the insurance company wanted it installed on a pedestal so the bottom of the loading door was 18" from the floor. Another requirement was bump protection to keep anything from hitting the stove and knocking it loose.

Jimbob said:
I installed a stove in a shop, and the insurance company wanted it installed on a pedestal so the bottom of the loading door was 18" from the floor. Another requirement was bump protection to keep anything from hitting the stove and knocking it loose.

The above is very similar if not equal to all of the NG burning furnaces and water heaters installed in garages in my state. Combustion air from the garage is the norm. The blue glow of combustion reflects off of fenders. Would they extend this treatment to space heaters? I don't know.

Since the NFPA code is segregated....211, for instance, covers Solid Fuel burning appliances and their vents....they simply say "Solid Fuel heaters are not to be installed in any garage" and there is no more or less to the statement. As to other heaters, I would consult the other mechanical codes as well as NFPA and also the manuals of the specific appliances.

I have seen a lot of hot water heaters and furnaces in garages, but these were in houses built a couple decades ago. The codes change every few years.
"If a water heater is installed in a garage, it is recommended, and many codes require, that it be elevated at least 18 inches (0.46 m) above the floor to reduce the potential for fire or explosion due to spillage or leakage of combustible liquids in the garage"

Also, in terms of furnace installation, see this from another forum:
http://www.warmair.com/html/OilFurnaceInGarage.shtml

So, basically, garages are a no-no for open flames.

shortlid said:
nshif said:

So propane or oil fired heating stoves are OK for garages but not solid-fuel units?

Believe it or not, yes they are allowed but I believe NFP code states that they have to now be enclosed with 2hr rated sheathing. Remember you are not opening your oil/gas fired appliance to feed it fuel.

Status
Not open for further replies.