Chimney installation for BK King Ultra

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

dpp5000

Apr 15, 2018
Cleveland, NY
I have recently purchased a BK King Ultra. I am going to be installing the chimney myself. With my install I must go through a wall into a chase then through the roof. I am planning on using double walled stove pipe to the thimble then double walled insulated chimney pipe for the rest. My question is: I know in the manual it says there must be 36" of vertical before the 90. In my case, with vaulted ceilings, I can go from 8' to 15' before the 90. Is more than the required 36" better or worse for draft? The house is two stories and the chimney is almost in the middle of the house so I am guessing the total height of the stack will be around 20' or so. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Reactions: allied35
If you are using double wall inside you can go higher with no problems. But be you will have to pull that pipe everytime you clean the chimney so you dont want it to high. Have you considered just running straight up and out with it?

Last edited:
Reactions: Highbeam
If you are using double wall inside you can go higher with no problems. But be you will have to pull that pipe everytime you clean the chimney so you dont want it to high. Have you considered just running straight up and out with it?
That will not work in my situation. The wood stove is going in front of where an old prefab fireplace was. I am closing the old fireplace opening off and using the chase where the old chimney was. My main concern is the new chimney having the two 90s (one of the 90s will actually be a clean out T). I am actually also lucky enough to have access to the chase. There is a small door on the second floor where I will be able to get to the whole chimney all the way to the roof. I just want to be sure there is sufficient draft.

That will not work in my situation. The wood stove is going in front of where an old prefab fireplace was. I am closing the old fireplace opening off and using the chase where the old chimney was. My main concern is the new chimney having the two 90s (one of the 90s will actually be a clean out T). I am actually also lucky enough to have access to the chase. There is a small door on the second floor where I will be able to get to the whole chimney all the way to the roof. I just want to be sure there is sufficient draft.
As long as you go up atleast that 3 feet before the elbow you should be ok.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking for looks I will be going about 8' from the top of the stove to the 90.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking for looks I will be going about 8' from the top of the stove to the 90.
Again every time you clean the chimney you will need to pull that pipe down to clean it and the tee. Putting it up that high will make that difficult.