Chimney Length for Lopi Declaration

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Stax

Minister of Fire
Dec 22, 2010
Southeastern PA
The length of my one story chimney is 12 ft to the damper, 14 ft to the opening of the top of my fireplace, or connection to wood buring insert. The Lopi Declaration requires 15 feet of liner. I would assume the liner would need to be extended another foot or two out of the top of my chimney. Is this feasible and if so, how is it accomplished? Would a combination of liner types (rigid/flex) need to be used and where?

When I stick my head into the fireplace and look up the flue, I believe there is a slight bend around the damper area. I could be wrong, I have to look again. I should know this already as my head has been in there several times.

Mine is only 14 feet and no problem for the past five years.

The manual, as well as stove shop and installers require the liner to be 15 feet for this particular unit. Would it not be code then?

You are over thinking this whole install,just put it in and stay warm. :)

Budman:

I appreciate your feedback, but I want to be knowledgable regarding the whole process. I'm spending thousands of dollars here. I want a good unit and for it to be installed properly and up to code. You can over think, but you can't be over informed.

Status
Not open for further replies.