Chimney Liner Install recently bought house

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

camjohnson

Nov 8, 2020
victoria bc canada
I have an interior brick chimney( 15 feet tall) with a clay liner. The liner isn't in perfect condition so i don't feel great using it with my stove . If i were to install a 6" flexible liner into the the existing clay liner are there any clearances i have to allow or is it ok for the flexible liner to be touching any parts of the clay liner,

Thanks

I have an interior brick chimney( 15 feet tall) with a clay liner. The liner isn't in perfect condition so i don't feel great using it with my stove . If i were to install a 6" flexible liner into the the existing clay liner are there any clearances i have to allow or is it ok for the flexible liner to be touching any parts of the clay liner,

Thanks
You need to be sure you have the required clearances from the outside of the masonry structure. Here it is 2" for an internal chimney. I am not sure in canada but I know it is similar. Without those clearances you need to insulate the liner

If a liner is required in a fireplace chimney, how is it sealed off in at the damper? A friend of mine was told she needed a liner in her chimney for reasons I’m not sure of at this point.

If a liner is required in a fireplace chimney, how is it sealed off in at the damper? A friend of mine was told she needed a liner in her chimney for reasons I’m not sure of at this point.
For use as an open fireplace it would not be sealed at the damper. It would be sealed at the top of the smoke chamber. It is usually done by parging the smoke chamber with something like chamber tech and blending that into the bottom of the liner.

Reactions: RandyBoBandy

Thanks
So the chimney doesn't have 2" clearance everywhere. They butted the drywall into it everywhere but not the framing( it is held off 2") If i made sure to cut back the drywall a minimum 2" everywhere along the chimney then i should be ok to install the liner without insulation and have it touch the inner sides of the clay liner if need be ? The liner is 6 1/4" by 10" inside dimension. I
You need to be sure you have the required clearances from the outside of the masonry structure. Here it is 2" for an internal chimney. I am not sure in canada but I know it is similar. Without those clearances you need to insulate the liner

So the chimney doesn't have 2" clearance everywhere. They butted the drywall into it everywhere but not the framing( it is held off 2") If i made sure to cut back the drywall a minimum 2" everywhere along the chimney then i should be ok to install the liner without insulation and have it touch the inner sides of the clay liner if need be ? The liner is 6 1/4" by 10" inside dimension. I
Is 2" the Canadian requirement? Regardless why not just use an oval liner and get the performance gains?