Chimney liner only installed in flue?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Good advice being given here brother. Load up for bear!
Sad to say, but the more incompetent fool you make this guy look, the better your case. Although he has done just fine a job of making himself look like a fool. No mercy. God knows how many other folks he sutffed that crap in on? If he is old time, or just not knowledgeable, he needs to retire, or find another profession.

Hogwildz said:
Good advice being given here brother. Load up for bear!
Sad to say, but the more incompetent fool you make this guy look, the better your case. Although he has done just fine a job of making himself look like a fool. No mercy. God knows how many other folks he sutffed that crap in on? If he is old time, or just not knowledgeable, he needs to retire, or find another profession.

Indeed,

Asked him yesterday to just give me a figure by COB Friday that would be amendable to both parties to make this debacle go away. If this is still through the roof, I will have no alternative.

In the spring, I will finish the job out properly once my work schedule clears up.

Den said:
The work he did *might* save you the trouble of insulating your new liner, so it might be worth ~ $300. If I were feeling generous, I'd pay him something like that as a gesture, thank him for trying, and DIY the liner.

I agree with this. He basically cement lined your chimney. Using a SS liner in addition to the cement liner is like double charging you for the same work. there is probably a going rate for a cement reline and that is about all he is entitled to.

Heres the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebm0f_Ft5DI

Osburning said:
Den said:
The work he did *might* save you the trouble of insulating your new liner, so it might be worth ~ $300. If I were feeling generous, I'd pay him something like that as a gesture, thank him for trying, and DIY the liner.

I agree with this. He basically cement lined your chimney. Using a SS liner in addition to the cement liner is like double charging you for the same work. there is probably a going rate for a cement reline and that is about all he is entitled to.

Heres the process http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ebm0f_Ft5DI

Exactly, He just used the SS as a form.

Only the good Lord knows why. Somehow I doubt the insulation mix was pumped in. He does pull a mixer, but never saw a pump device. Could be wrong.

Believe me, i've asked serval times why the terracotta was busted out for a "liner" job.

Status
Not open for further replies.