1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Chimney liner question?

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by ecocavalier02, Dec 24, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. webby3650

webby3650 Master of Fire

Loc:
    southern Indiana
    If you can see a gap, the insulation will come through it. You need to fill it. Have you thought about using the Chamber- Tech cement that I suggested?

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. ecocavalier02

ecocavalier02 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    ct
    Well yes i can see a gap at the top. But i dont know about fifteen feet down. I really dont want to pull the liner out if. Dont have to. I mean conzidering my chimney is already for the most part internal will it make that much of a difference
  3. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Alzo if i did make oval. What would that do to draft. I want the best i can Get. I know in heating and cooling we use it all the time and it makes no difference. Guess it really shouldnt do thamuch i guess. I still think ifi just pour it down it would be ok.
  4. jtp10181

jtp10181 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Madison, WI
  5. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Thats not whAt i said!! I said making it oval. I know that.
  6. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    My question again is should i just stuf rock wool down as much as i can and see how it works. Im just tryi g to monimize creosote build up to the max.
  7. LLigetfa

LLigetfa Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Rock wool is not effective as insulation if you "Stuff" it. It needs to be loose to insulate. It's OK to stuff it in the bottom to keep poured insulation in only if you don't need insulation there for NFPA 211.
  8. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Well i dont k ow what to do now it looks like anyway i go i will have take the liner out to do it the right way. If pour your suupse to have spacerswhich i don t have on. And if i wrap ill have oval it. This is why i ask the question if i just pourit down as is do uou think it will make a difference in mu setup. I am not worried about the fireproofing aspect as the chimney is in decent shape. Just looking for better resultswith creosote build up
  9. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Sorry bout the bad spelling as i am on my phone.
  10. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Ok if someone could answer the question. Is it really worth pulling out? Or should i just pour the stuff down and just call it a day
  11. Todd

Todd Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Wissota
    If it were me I'd just try it without any insulation for a season and see what you get.
  12. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    That might be an option i guess huh. I just wanted to do everythi g i should. But i think u might be right and just try it. Maybe just put some rockwool in there. I think thats the best answer ive gotten. Ill just se how it goes. I dont mind buying the pour and doing it. Its just iwanted to make sure that it wouldnt be an issue with not hqving the spacers. I dont think having the spacers will make a dramatic difference. I just wanted to make all the adjustments for the new stove. So whatever ill have to make a decision. Ill probably just pour it down for the heck of it. Not going to make a huge deal out of it.
  13. Wet1

Wet1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    USA
    If clearances aren't a concern and everything is in good shape, I'd build a block-off at the bottom, pour loose perlite to the top, and call it a day. The perlite finds its way all around if you shake the liner as you pour it in. It will go a long way towards improving your draft, making your chimney more safe, and reducing creosote.

Just my 2 cents.
  14. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Thank you very much. Thats what im doing and thats final!!!!! Lol ill do that and call it a day. Finally have my decision. Haha
  15. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Im having trouble finding the perlite. Where can i get this stuff
  16. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Well i went to the blaze king dealer today to see it in action. He said i shouldnt waist mytime on insulating. But im not all sold on that. I mght just try it a year and see what happens. What do u guys think? I dont want to cheap out.
  17. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    You already got the answer:

Shari
  18. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    It's not the answer he is shopping for.
  19. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Then I must be confused as I thought he was asking about insulating. Sorry.

Shari
  20. LLigetfa

Loc:
    NW Ontario
    Sorry, that's not what I meant. He is shopping for a particular answer that he wants to hear. Eventually someone will come along that thinks like him and tell him what he wants to hear.
  21. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Then maybe he should go take a look at the photo here: http://www.hearth.com/econtent/index.php/forums/viewthread/48950/

Shari
  22. k3c4forlife

k3c4forlife Member

I am going up against the same situation with the insert I want to install. Going to fight the flex flue through with the insulation. Not worth losing the house over fighting with the liner for a few hours...
  23. Shari

Shari Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wisconsin
    Same situation here. In our case, we will not jeopardize our home for any savings (on insulation or installation). No, we don't have our stove installed yet but our piggy bank is building from, of all things, something I personally helped 5 of our neighbors with. Maybe we won't get our stove installed this season but when it goes in it will go in right (insulated ss liner, block-off plate, etc.) so when the stove is stoked at night I can sleep peacefully. We lost a beloved family member in a house fire (not stove related) and I will take all precautionary steps installing our stove.

Shari
  24. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    YeH so i guess the insulation is primarily for safety reasons. I wasng in the first place even doing it for the safety reasons. Iwas just doing it for performance reasons crosote build up and sttuff like that. But like yhe deAler said the cat should tKe care of that. So im going to try it without for a year. I was actuAlly just standing in my chimney working on it. And it wasnt even cold in there. I think it stays pretty warm in the chimney as its for the most part internal
  25. ecocavalier02

Loc:
    ct
    Well i really still want to insulate just for the heck of it. And i would like to go with the perlite, but i cannot seem to find it online. Is this a dry pour? any help would be great.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.