Chimney liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Newbe1

Hearth Supporter
Jan 4, 2009
Idaho
I just received a older Lopi Answer insert, and am looking for a inexpensive liner. The tile liner is 6.5"X15"X13'T
I am in a relatively warm climate, and will probably only 50 days a year.
My question is what would be the most economical and safe way to go?
Thanks
Bill

Sounds like a pre-insulated 5.5" liner may work if the tile liner is straight and free of mortar globs. How tall is the chimney?

DuraVent flex liner in whatever diameter matches your appliance. Insulating would be nice, but you're not going to fit a 6" blanket wrapped liner down a 6.5" flue. Block off plates top and bottom should do you well enough.

It looks free of mortar, but there will be about a 20 decree off set from the stove collar to the damper I need to remove.

A slight downsize is not going to harm anything. It will need to be terminated with the proper appliance adapter sized to the flue collar on the stove. How tall is the chimney?

at only 13 feet i would not downsize any
Yep, agreed. That's why I asked. The chimney is short for the Answer. The manual calls for 15'. That said, it may work, we have a neighbor with this setup and only a 13ft chimney. It is a bit balky in mild weather but will burn alright once all is heated up. This is with an interior chimney and 6" liner.

Yes, it can be done. Or you can get pre-insulated oval liner. Duraliner comes in an oval pipe that is 4 3/4" x 7 3/4".

Well I do see a 8" flexible liner on craigslist, Do you think if I flatten it to 5" there will be room for insulating it?

Thanks everyone, I just ordered 5"1/2 flexible liner kit. I'll report back how it drafts once I get it installed.

Thanks everyone, I just ordered 5"1/2 flexible liner kit. I'll report back how it drafts once I get it installed.
Good luck with that undersized short chimney in a mild climate to me sounds like trouble

Reactions: Ashful
Good luck with that undersized short chimney in a mild climate to me sounds like trouble
You maybe right, but after measuring again I have 14'-6" to the bottom of the hearth .If your right I'll be installing a flue extension get another couple feet.

I installed the liner yesterday and have been burning for the last 24 hours between 32 and 55 degrees, and it draft great.

I installed the liner yesterday and have been burning for the last 24 hours between 32 and 55 degrees, and it draft great.
good for you i am glad it worked out. I was very skeptical

Well I did Insulate the chimney with Roxul. I cut the insulation 6.5 inches and packed it down the sides. Not sure how effective it is but its got to be better then nothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.