chimney pipe size and and adapter question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wilm245

Feb 5, 2015
Northa Carolina
Hello,

My fireplace does not draw good so for a temporary solution I bought a cheap chimney fan. Below are some pictures of my double walled metal chimney pipe. The larger outside pipe is approximately 15" and the smaller inside pipe is approximately 9 3/8". I am wondering what the easiest/most inexpensive way to will be to attach the chimney fan to my round pipe. The base of the fan is adjustable and can be adjusted to any square/rectangular size up to 43cm x 43cm. Thank you for your advice.

IMG_20160229_121338604_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160229_121459165_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160229_121536911.jpg

chimney.jpg

To me a fan is a band-aid you would be much better off to figure out the root of the issue. Can you explain the problem a little?

Your only running a open fireplace right? no woodstove or insert?

Do you have any better/close up pictures of the chimney fan? That would help me visualize it better.

Nate.
Here is a video of the fan installation. When I ordered the fan I accidentally told them my pipe is 8" and they are supposed to be sending a custom round adapter. Unfortunately I was incorrect when I told them 8" when it is actually 9 3/8". I can possibly contact the manufacturer but they have already shipped the fan and it's coming from Italy.

No difference with the fan install, but if you have an insert or free standing stove your chimney doesn't look like a class A rated type. Can you take a picture of your fireplace and post it, also how long of a chimney do you have? Have you always had a problem with smoke roll back / bad draft? If you lite news paper in the fireplace do you have a better draft with the window open? Do you have a chimney damper that might be closed or not opening all the way?

I did not install it, the previous homeowner did
Show us some pictures of the setup. There may be more problems than poor draft.

Th

This is a fireplace insert of some sort. Does that make a difference as to how I adapt the fan to fit the chimney pipe?
Sounds like this may be a Zero Clearance fireplace.

Another thing you need to know is that you cannot obstruct the air movement in that outer layer at all if you do the chimney cannot cool itself properly and it could be very dangerous. What else have you done to try to fix the poor draft issue?

No difference with the fan install, but if you have an insert or free standing stove your chimney doesn't look like a class A rated type. Can you take a picture of your fireplace and post it, also how long of a chimney do you have? Have you always had a problem with smoke roll back / bad draft? If you lite news paper in the fireplace do you have a better draft with the window open? Do you have a chimney damper that might be closed or not opening all the way?

Please see pictures below. The glass doors on my fireplace measure approx 38"w x 22.5"t. The actual opening is a little smaller when you factor in the smoke guard, etc. I have always had a smoke problem. As you can see in the picture I have a "grate wall of fire" which did not work. The previous owner had gas logs and I took them out and installed a gas firestarter. The flue size at the damper is 8" but it gets bigger just above the damper. I am almost certain that the reason for my bad draft is because I have some sort of negative pressure in my house that I have not figured out. I heat the flue with the gas fire starter. I have gotten some very hot fires and tried cracking windows but the smoke problem always returns after i shut the window. I have tried everything. The chimney sweep who cleaned and inspected my fireplace and chimney said he didn't see a reason why I would have smoke...but i know why its negative pressure. I realize the chimney fan is just a bandaid and my ultimate goal is to figure out the source of my negative pressure...in the mean time I would love some creative advice on how to attach this square shaped chimney fan to my round pipe.

IMG_20160301_142048409.jpg

IMG_20160301_142101030.jpg

IMG_20160301_142131235.jpg

Ok so it is just a plain old zero clearance fireplace. Is the outside air kit hooked up to it?

What is the outside air kit? If what you are talking about is a vent that draws in outside air, then no. Is it necessary to have one?
That would be my first step if i was having trouble with the draft due to negative pressure. That fan will only make your negative pressure worse it may make the fireplace work but could cause all kinds of other trouble.

And yes an outside air kit supplies outside combustion air to the firebox almost all of that type fireplace have them.

That would be my first step if i was having trouble with the draft due to negative pressure. That fan will only make your negative pressure worse it may make the fireplace work but could cause all kinds of other trouble.
Are you familiar with these zero clearance systems? Its it necessary to buy the outside air kit from the manufacturer of the fireplace? Any idea how I can find oul who manufactured my zero clearance fireplace?

Thanks I will look for that tonight
I found out my fireplace was manufactured by Martin Fireplace of Florence, AL model # BC4250. Apparently this company is no longer in business. Should I attempt to install an outdoor air kit to this insert? If so, any recommendations on calculating the proper size, or any particular models? Thank you.

I found out my fireplace was manufactured by Martin Fireplace of Florence, AL model # BC4250. Apparently this company is no longer in business. Should I attempt to install an outdoor air kit to this insert? If so, any recommendations on calculating the proper size, or any particular models? Thank you.
Do you have the manual? do you have an access hole into the chase so you can see where the intake is supposed to hook to? Also this is not an insert it is a fireplace they are very different things.

Do you have the manual? do you have an access hole into the chase so you can see where the intake is supposed to hook to? Also this is not an insert it is a fireplace they are very different things.
No manual...no access hole per say but i can see back in there and think I could figure it out if i dedicated a little time to it. What is so very different between an insert and a fireplace?

What is so very different between an insert and a fireplace?
An insert goes inside a fireplace and a zeroclearance fireplace like you have goes into a framed opening. Also the type of fireplace you have is not really meant to heat much of anything they are pretty much just ambiance. while an insert is a heating appliance. As far as the air hook up goes chances are any kit will work but you are going to have to get to the outside of that unit somehow to hook it up. What is the outside of the chase made of.

Status
Not open for further replies.