Chimney question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
May 31, 2016
Northern MI
Hi all,
I live in the snow belt of Northern MI and plan on getting my first wood insert this year. My plan is to get a Blaze King Princess, Sirroco 25 or Ashford 25 for my basement (open basement 1350 sq ft. My chimney is on an interior wall (all four sides) and currently has a clay flue. So i called the not so local Blaze King dealer and inquired about price including install which brings me to my questions.

1. I'm pretty sure the dealer told me that they install Class A single wall. I asked about a SS flex liner, he said that he can cut the flex liners with a knife and does not trust them, so he recommends class A single wall that they assemble as they insert it into the chimney.
- This sounds unsafe to me as the single wall would have seams, and the black single wall would give me corrosion concerns. If this was for a stove then I would be able to see break down in the stove and would not be concerned.
- What kind of liner would you recommend? I want something more than my clay flue and I understand that many SS liners have increases chimney fire protection.

2. Considering that this fire place is in my basement and the chimney is on an inside wall, should i go with an insulated liner?

Note: I'm not trying to trash any dealer, I just want a better idea of what I want before making the drive to talk to them in person. I intend to re-inquire the same dealer about the liner and find out what other options they suggest for liners and if i'm unhappy then i will look at other dealers. There are 3 within an acceptable range of me.

You'd need a pretty tough knife to cut a heavy duty liner. 6" class A is serious overkill in this circumstance. I'd go with a good quality, hd insulated liner.

Reactions: bholler
Yes heavywall flex liner with insulation. I have a feeling they were talking about rigid liner not class a chimney

if it's class A then it's not single wall pipe.

2. Considering that this fire place is in my basement and the chimney is on an inside wall, should i go with an insulated liner?

I would definitely go with an insulated liner, this will help with draft, creosote formation, and most likely bring your chimney up to code for clearances.

Rigid, stainless liner is fine if that is what the dealer prefers to install. It's not the same as class A chimney pipe, but a good product. They should use stainless pop-rivets to join the sections.

You can cut light wall liner with a knife, your dealer isn't making that up. We never had any problems with the light wall stuff, but recently switched to heavy flex. It's much nicer! Go ahead bholler, say you told me so!

You can cut light wall liner with a knife, your dealer isn't making that up. We never had any problems with the light wall stuff, but recently switched to heavy flex. It's much nicer! Go ahead bholler, say you told me so!
Lol no problem atleast you saw the light lol. I still say if you havnt seen any failed liners you either havnt been in the buisness long enough or you arent looking hard enough. We see a couple a year. Most are pushing 30 years old but some lightwalls are only a few years old