Chimney too tall for a full liner?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

balrog

May 26, 2008
South central CT
I am purchasing a Regency i2400 Insert from a local dealer, and when he put the quote together, he only quoted me a SS liner up to the first flue tile. I told him I wanted a full liner because, based on information I found on this site, it's recommended for the best stove efficiency. He told me that my chimney was too tall from the roof (it extends about 6' above the roof) and the pitch of my roof was too great so that the installers wouldn't be able to reach high enough to feed the liner down the flue. He said I'd have to rent a bucket truck (since he doesn't have that equipment,) and that it would be very expensive. The dealer insists that the partial liner will be just fine. Should I find another dealer? Or will the partial liner be ok?

That is a direct connect, and a less than desirable install.
Unless the old chimney meets code & inspection, you want a full liner. I'd want a full liner regardless.
The safety factor alone is worth it.
The other problem with the direct connect, is you have to pull the insert out for every chimney cleaning, which is minimal once a year, sometimes more depending on wood moisture content & how hot or not hot enough you burn. Get a bucket truck or find another dealer. He's feeding you crap.

Hi -

Yes. I'd find someone who wants the work. This isn't very complicated.

Mike

I had that problem with a liner once and just pulled it up the chimney instead of dropping it in from the top.

Send him packing, a sweep has to clean it right? Well with a full liner you could sweep it yourself from the bottom, not optimal but do-able. A lot of dealers just plain suck and take advantage of people. Ask him if as a dealer why he is not equiped to do the job? Unless you have a real odd home I can not see it being a problem. Find a good dealer and you will be happy.

We had to rent such trucks or lifts a number of times. It is par for the course on tough jobs.

Not to say that the direct connection won't cost a bunch less - and perhaps do the job. An option might be to have a local chimney sweep who is more experienced at tall chimneys and steep roofs do the install - and just have the dealer deliver it.

Good suggestion as long as you think the dealer is good...otherwises issues became installer negligence if you know what I mean. Balrog, how about a picture of the home and the chimney?

If the chimney is on an exterior wall, rent yourself a scissor lift / cherry picker for a day (100-200$ locally) and DO EET. With a spare set of hands, pulling a liner down is usually pretty simple and straight forward

Really folks, dropping a rope down the chimney and pulling a liner up it ain't no big thing. In ways it is easier than shoving it down from the top. Just have one person up top and one on the bottom just like any other way. Lots of installers do it that way and there is even a remote controlled winch that fits on top of the flue tiles for companies that do a lot of them.

The one I did that way I pushed up the chimney by myself.

Trust me, there are guys in the area that will do that install. I can assure that 100%.

balrog said:
I am purchasing a Regency i2400 Insert from a local dealer, and when he put the quote together, he only quoted me a SS liner up to the first flue tile. I told him I wanted a full liner because, based on information I found on this site, it's recommended for the best stove efficiency. He told me that my chimney was too tall from the roof (it extends about 6' above the roof) and the pitch of my roof was too great so that the installers wouldn't be able to reach high enough to feed the liner down the flue. He said I'd have to rent a bucket truck (since he doesn't have that equipment,) and that it would be very expensive. The dealer insists that the partial liner will be just fine. Should I find another dealer? Or will the partial liner be ok?

Hi Neighbor!Wonder which dealer you went too? Haddam,meriden(which i went with)newington,southington?.They were not to keen on on climbing heights but did mine with no problem.PS!My dad just bought a Regency i2400 from the same place as mine and its due to be installed the 12th of this month!both mine and his have a full ss liner.

I have a similiar roof/chimney as you and I am having a SS liner installed this Sunday by a sweep from Bethel. No issues to do it from the sweep and the price was similiar to the Jotul dealer - but he is using a better liner. Send me a PM if you want more details.

Here's a picture of my roof/chimney. The chimney's ~30' high and does extend a good distance above the roof-line. I called a local rental place and they have a towable telecoping boom arm that'll go to 42'. I showed it to the dealer and he agreed to do the full liner with that, so I'm renting it (~$150) and the install in now scheduled. Thanks for all the help.

Attachments

• chimney4.JPG
    chimney4.JPG
    155.8 KB · Views: 254
Status
Not open for further replies.