Choice of two woods

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ash is in the same genus as the Olive tree. I'd go with Ash.

Well, it is often quoted that all wood has essentially the same BTU's per pound - or per kg in your case. In fact, many of the BTU/cord charts are constructed by simply taking the "pounds per cord" for the wood species and multiplying by 8600 to get BTU per cord.

Based on that, if 'all else were equal' the olive would be the better buy as it is slightly cheaper per kg which essentially means slightly cheaper per unit of energy. But in the real world, you also need to consider how each wood burns, does your particular appliance burn one wood better than the other, is the moisture content the same, do you prefer the characteristics of one wood versus the other (ie long burning, aroma, coaling ability, sparks, smoke, etc).

Also, just punching in the currency converter, that is about 9-11 cents per pound on this side of the pond, or close to $300 bucks a cord for pine - don't know what olive weighs as that is not too common over here.

If olive is indeed like ash, I'd go with the olive.

Seems to me that ash has a MUCH lower moisture content to begin with. Thus, seasoning will take less time (some will argue that it is ready to burn now).

Essentially if you go with pine, you'll be paying more for water that you'lll lose to evaporation anyway.

I'd agree. Go with the Olive.

Warren said:
I'd agree. Go with the Olive.

I'll take mine shaken... not stirred! :coolsmile:

Welcome aboard,
Jim

Nothing, it would seem that it will take sometime to dry out a little bit, that's all. Have patience, let it set around a little bit. Something that might help is to split it down into smaller size splits. The smaller the diameter of the pieces will let much needed air get to the wood and help it to burn. Increasing the air flow around the smaller pieces will help it burn, green or seasoned.

Status
Not open for further replies.