chopping logs for wood stove with an axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

tommyjcarpenter

Nov 2, 2016
new jersey
I have a great splitting axe, a splitting maul, and wedges. I also have a chopping axe (some people call it a feller axe). I do *not* have a chainsaw. I also do not have any powertools. I could buy them if needed but want to know if I can use the axe.

I have some logs I've been seasoning that are about 6-12" round and 24" long that I need to chop down to about 12" in length order to split for my wood stove.

Can I use a chopping axe (feller axe?) to cut the logs *in half*, then split them normally? I see so much information online about splitting wood but I see so little information about chopping wood perpendicular. Does everyone always use a chainsaw for that or can I make sectionals with an axe? Any tips?

Last edited:
If possible I would use my chop saw for that.

Yes, but there is a fair amount of loss in the pieces flying off.

My teenager just felled a 5" with the Fiskars due to it's sharpness.

If you want to do this by hand I would find a saw. Using an ax will waste wood and your end product won't a flat end to stand the round for splitting though I guess you could split them lying flat. I have a Silky, cuts pretty quick on wood like that.

Reactions: mitchell721
Better off bucking them with a hand saw than with an axe. Just as much work and a better cut. I actually felled a tree one time with an axe. One time. Thirty years ago.

Reactions: MrsD and Jeffm1
I use an axe to fell small trees around my place (less than 8" diameter), quicker than getting the chainsaw out, and I like the exercise. Most of the axe work is in limbing though- a good sharp axe will take most limbs off with one whack.

Can you buck up logs with an axe? Sure... but as said earlier, that would really make splitting them a pain. Get a bow saw or a good crosscut and go to town.

Reactions: Jeffm1
IMHO, I saw go ahead and try to cut the wood with an axe, once you discover how much work it is, how much wood it wastes, and that it actually takes skill to do it efficiently you'll quickly switch to a saw, you may even be motivated enough to buy a chainsaw!!!!

Reactions: Jeffm1
Right tool for the right job ... can you use a sledge hammer to drive in a nail to hang a picture ... sure ... but it's a lot easier to use the better tool -- a hammer -- as the job will be made simpler.

Does everyone always use a chainsaw

I have, and sometimes use, a one man cross cut saw instead of a chain saw. Such as:

?u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.iiipublishing.com%2Freviews%2Fproducts%2Fimages%2Fcross_cut_saw.JPG

If you have a friend, then a two man** cross cut saw is faster, but hand sawing will always be slower and more work than a chain saw.

** Which is a bit of a misnomer since my wife is often at the other end. :)

Bow saw, buck saw, or arborist speed saw (e.g. Corona® Raker Razor-Tooth Pruning Saw, 21-inch Curved Blade). This Corona saw would be an excellent hand saw for the size of wood you described. http://www.amleo.com/corona-raker-razor-tooth-pruning-saw-21-inch-curved-blade/p/4534R/
It's a good mix of new style razor tooth with the old style tooth set for a fast cut, yet allowing it to remove sawdust from kerf on larger diameter wood.

Razor-Tooth Pruning Saw, 21-inch Curved Blade

A rule of thumb with pruning saws is to limit cuts to branches not larger than 1/3rd the blade length. So a 21 inch blade should be fine for up to 7 inches. For the 12 inch logs this length of saw will have too short a cutting draw to be efficient. Can one cut a 12 inch log with such a saw? Yes. But it would be more difficult and cumbersome to do so.

I also do not have any powertools.

Another option: if this is just a one off event, consider just renting an electric chain saw. An electric chain saw should handle that wood diameter fine, and you do not have to buy any fuel for it -- just plug it in.

Op: you remind me of a guy on Discovery channel- Life below zero, Glen in remote Alaska, living off the land, the only modern thing he has is the rifle, everything else are all man-powered.

I've never heard of anyone using an axe in that way really, a saw would be the way to go. But for about the same price as a really good saw, or cheaper than most two-person saws, a cheap Poulan chainsaw would probably do well, I know I used one for a couple years that was less than $100 brand new. But that is great if you're trying to do stuff the old fashion way with hand tools, more power to ya.

I've never heard of anyone using an axe in that way really, a saw would be the way to go. But for about the same price as a really good saw, or cheaper than most two-person saws, a cheap Poulan chainsaw would probably do well, I know I used one for a couple years that was less than $100 brand new. But that is great if you're trying to do stuff the old fashion way with hand tools, more power to ya.

It's a shame I can only give you one like. Extremely easy to find a cheap chainsaw on craigslist for only a little more than you can get a new hand saw.

Or find a neighbor with a saw.

Or try to split a 24" log and then buck with an axe. Less waste that way

Was in the house bored so I went outside and decided to split some 18" rounds I bucked few months ago with an axe, I must say big respect to those who do it cause aint no way I could do it. I was out of breath by the first 12 swings and the round was still in one piece lol. Log splitter and husky all the way.

Axes rarely make good splitters. The head is way too thin. On straight grained small stuff I've had luck, but that's it. For everything else, there's the Fiskars, 6 lb or 8 lb mauls, or the wedges. The 6 lb gets by far the most use. Axe eye mauls are way better than sledge eye ones.

I agree the op should buck to stove length with an axe until he is ready to spend the money for an appropriate saw, be it man or gasoline powered.

I have done it, didnt take long to get over it, but it can be done.

Op: you remind me of a guy on Discovery channel- Life below zero, Glen in remote Alaska, living off the land, the only modern thing he has is the rifle, everything else are all man-powered.

haha it is due to a lack of current funds, not due to some survival quest =)

We just bought a house. Getting all the proper tools to do every job with the correct tool takes money and time. Yes I want a chainsaw over time. Yes I want a chop saw. I need a lot of various tools for various jobs around the house. But for now, I have an axe, and some rounds too long for my woodstove, and was wondering whether it was possible to solve my problem with what I have.

Reactions: excessads
Axes rarely make good splitters. The head is way too thin. On straight grained small stuff I've had luck, but that's it. For everything else, there's the Fiskars, 6 lb or 8 lb mauls, or the wedges. The 6 lb gets by far the most use. Axe eye mauls are way better than sledge eye ones.

I am not sure who in this thread is talking about splitting.

Bow saw, buck saw, or arborist speed saw (e.g. Corona® Raker Razor-Tooth Pruning Saw, 21-inch Curved Blade). This Corona saw would be an excellent hand saw for the size of wood you described. http://www.amleo.com/corona-raker-razor-tooth-pruning-saw-21-inch-curved-blade/p/4534R/
It's a good mix of new style razor tooth with the old style tooth set for a fast cut, yet allowing it to remove sawdust from kerf on larger diameter wood.
thank you for this, I have added it to my Amazon queue

I am not sure who in this thread is talking about splitting.

this guy:

Was in the house bored so I went outside and decided to split some 18" rounds I bucked few months ago with an axe, I must say big respect to those who do it cause aint no way I could do it. I was out of breath by the first 12 swings and the round was still in one piece lol. Log splitter and husky all the way.

Combining a cheap or already owned wood saw of any variety and the axe will
get you through any winter when it comes to surviving, period. I was laid off when starting
off last winter with my mom's electric 16" chainsaw and a regular axe. We couldn't deal with the
$600+ winter utility bills. Our worst after firing the stove was $128 for Feb, 2016.
You can combine some cuts and chops quite effectively using the saw to make weak points
for the axe. Chop away my friend, and chop away those furnace expenses.
Cheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeap

Status
Not open for further replies.