chopping logs for wood stove with an axe

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
this guy:

Was in the house bored so I went outside and decided to split some 18" rounds I bucked few months ago with an axe, I must say big respect to those who do it cause aint no way I could do it. I was out of breath by the first 12 swings and the round was still in one piece lol. Log splitter and husky all the way.

And redyute apparently misunderstood the topic of discussion. The OP is not trying to split with a normal axe, he even said he had a 'splitting' axe, maul, wedges, etc. He was asking about bucking with an axe.

If you're not trying to be old school on purpose, and just to save money, I'd be seriously looking at craigslist for a decent used saw or a new cheapie saw. If you already had a good crosscut hand saw or two person saw, etc, then great use it, but if you have to buy one I don't think the difference in price with an inexpensive chainsaw is enough to worry about. Heck if you were close by I'd give you my old Poulan if it were still running (might be, just havent fired it up in 8 years or so).

.... I also do not have any powertools. I could buy them if needed but want to know if I can use the axe... Does everyone always use a chainsaw for that or can I make sectionals with an axe? Any tips?

Yes. Yes. And yes. Tip:Spend one season using your axe to satisfy your curiosity. Then here is what will happen next: The following year you will buy yourself a chainsaw without anyone telling you to do so. You will have figured it out by then all on your own.;) (And it might not even take until the next year)

Reactions: CheapBassTurd
By hand: investing in a 'bow saw' (big hack saw for wood?) would go a long way. but, depending on how much gym therapy you want. an axe works. only thing with an axe is you have to use it like a chisel. taking angle cuts with the grain, then chopping the splits. seams like a lot of work.

Reactions: Jeffm1
It would make me think twice before tossing on that extra split in the evenings. lol

Still, I'm with you, TommyJ. Follow what you wish to do and what your body can handle.
It's a great feeling just feeling all manly/ fatherly providing heat for those we love. How I
go about it is decided many times by my wallet. I grab almost rotted at times roadside scrounge
and get it split and drying. Never know what I'm getting next (ash) but hauling it home and busting
the stuff up just plain feels good. A sharp axe will be fine for your purposes, harder work or not.
We have chainsaws at our local pawnshop for 60 bucks but I haven't broken down and bought one
yet myself. Destroyed our lil' 16" electric last year and haven't bothered replacing it.

Reactions: Jeffm1
If you have a house to work on , at some point you will need a Sawzall. get a long coarse blade for it and cut wood to length that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.