Class A vs Masonary

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

wallpaper79

Hearth Supporter
Jul 23, 2008
NL Canada
For all of you knowledgeable people out there here is my case:

May wife and I are in the process of building a new home (We have the basement dug). We will be putting a wood stove in the basement of the home. One of the major features of the home, is a large chimney on the front of the house. Originally I was thinking that I would put up a prefab chimney and build a chase around it, covering it with faux stone. Now I am wondering if I should shell out the extra money and have a mason build the thing. Please send along any comments.

Also I have no Idea how to build the chase..does is get incorporated into the house structure? Should it be insulated? How will I case off the bottom so that I can still access the chimney clean-out?

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.