Cleaning Soapstone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bcnu

Dec 1, 2006
The soapstone tile one the right front, above door, is discolored. The one on the left isn't. Anybody else get this - I assume from smoke coming out when opening the door. I did do a dollar bill test when I first got the stove and could pull it out at that spot. I didn't think it was a problem but now wonder if some smoke does leak out there. I searched the archives and found one entry that says to use ooo steel wool. Is that still the way to go?

If it is smoke or the like; why not try a wet paper towel and some ash, just like on the glass?

I wash my stones often with water and a sponge. At the same time that I wash off the cast iron and make it black as new. The colors in the stone are very brilliant when wet. Seems to me that any leak in the gasket would allow air into the stove instead of letting it out. Do you just have an extra fancy piece of soapstone in that corner? My stones vary in "flare".

When looking at the front of the stove, the stone on top right above door is a discolored browish, while the left one looks like new. Do u use anything besides water when cleaning? The ash lip sure gets dirty and I had wondeed about spiffing it up. I use a horsetail brush but it seems to spread a lot of fine ash in the air.

Status
Not open for further replies.