Cleaning stove pipe and chimney, pictures of flue. is this bad after 1 year burning

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CTBurner

Hearth Supporter
Aug 4, 2008
SE CT
Is this terrible, i burned 24/7 sept thru april

pipe.jpg

chiminey.jpg

I've seen much, much worse. It should not take you long to clean it and it does need cleaning.

Need to burn a little hotter but should be fine...

definatly not as clean as my summit, but not really anything to get wortked up about: its the mirror like glaze that gets ya.. she's fine

How much "popcorn" was at the bottom of that cleanout and has a brush already been run down that flue?

BrotherBart said:
How much "popcorn" was at the bottom of that cleanout and has a brush already been run down that flue?

3 gallons, yes it was brushed in dec. by me

yes,no

After much brushing this is how it looks, should i do something more??????????

chimineyy.jpg

Nah. Looks like it is ready for the liner install. :lol:

BrotherBart said:
Nah. Looks like it is ready for the liner install. :lol:

agreed.

Yep, now's a great time to slide that liner down it. ;)

How did the other end look?

What temp to you usually run the stove at?

Skier76 said:

550 - 600 stove top temp

CTBurner said:
Skier76 said:

550 - 600 stove top temp

We have a Lopi Liberty and were told the flue temp is what we want to watch, we have the flue thermometer up about 18 inches from the stove top on the flue and usually burn at 350-400. This will be our first winter heating with wood.

Zap

zapny said:
CTBurner said:
Skier76 said:

550 - 600 stove top temp

We have a Lopi Liberty and were told the flue temp is what we want to watch, we have the flue thermometer up about 18 inches from the stove top on the flue and usually burn at 350-400. This will be our first winter heating with wood.

Zap

Many manufacturers list the temp limit for the stove on the stove top - not exhaust temps. NOt that you cannot measure those as your guide but stove top works for most. I try and keep mine between 500-800. Nothing better than when that Olympic gets roaring up over 650 and pushes through 700.

CTwoodburner said:
zapny said:
CTBurner said:
Skier76 said:

550 - 600 stove top temp

Zap

Many manufacturers list the temp limit for the stove on the stove top - not exhaust temps. NOt that you cannot measure those as your guide but stove top works for most. I try and keep mine between 500-800. Nothing better than when that Olympic gets roaring up over 650 and pushes through 700.

800 seems a little high no

Look's OK do not want to burn an Encore at 700 for a prolonged period of time the cast and cat will distort, 450-600 tops will do you well.

Defiant said:
Look's OK do not want to burn an Encore at 700 for a prolonged period of time the cast and cat will distort, 450-600 tops will do you well.

i stay under 675, it was another poster who goes over 700, which is fine if his stove can handle it which i believe it can

CTBurner said:
CTwoodburner said:
zapny said:
CTBurner said:
Skier76 said:

550 - 600 stove top temp

Zap

800 seems a little high no

Stove top temps for the Lopi Liberty, low burn is 200-400 degrees, a medium burn is 400-600 and 600-800 degrees is considered a high burn. Info came from Travis Industries.

Zap

CTBurner said:
BrotherBart said:

3 gallons, yes it was brushed in dec. by me

I used to get that much out of mine and then mid winter I had a chimney fire. You need to change something if you are getting that much out of it. I only speak this because I went through it thinking it will be ok and then the fire happened.

After I put a flex liner uninsulated and a soapstone stove I clean at the end of the season and only brush out 1/2 gallon or so of very fine powder.

Your brush job does look clean now but I would be watching that closely as in inspect it every month for build up again.

Old question but was your wood dry?

OK, I held off for several days but here it is. That pic of that chimney and the three gallons of "popcorn" creosote are classic remains of a chimney fire. The stuff puffs up when it lights off and leaves lots of clean spots in the chimney. Sometimes right after the tiles are spotless. Saw it many times over the years with my old stove. I actually intentionally set one of mine off to clean it for the liner install (this was done by a crazy man, don't try it at home). It isn't the life changing, call the fire department thing everybody fears. It happens and you don't even know it is going on.

When I first saw the pic it was de-ja-vous all over again. A sight I haven't ever seen again since I lined both of the tile chimneys.

fossileyezd said:
the creo u cleaned which deposited in chimni & didnt pollute the air & didnt burn the house down is a fuel for reburn. liner will be cleaner as it pumps out the creo into the air & pollutes but next time u hassle with chimni cleaning u can gloat at how litttle creo came out in spite of the equal effort or ,ironically, poke a hole in the liner & curse MURPHY, eh?

I think someone has been texting to much & forgotten how to use a keyboard. I apologize for picking on your post, but I am seeing this more & more often on all forums. Any posts like this are just not easy to read.
Al

Status
Not open for further replies.