Coffee

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
However, if you haven't already acquired the percolator, you might want to check out some of the portable (plastic) drip rigs, which work just like your drip coffee maker at home. Just pour in boiling water.

That's what we used back in the days I was camping with friends. http://www.cutleryandmore.com/rsvp/...cone-p131070?gclid=CM_B18itg74CFcyhOgod9lkARQ
Just needs a few filters and some coffee; a pot for making hot water and a thermos we had anyway. (That is actually still the way I make my coffee at home.)

Any of you coffee aficionados have tips for making campfire percolator coffee? I'm headed up to the Kittattinnies this weekend with some friends and I'm bringing a percolator pot I picked up. I've never used one before. When you fill it with water I assume you only fill to just below the level of the basket right? How long should the water actually boil for? How much coffee per oz of water? (We all like it strong).
Used those for years, up until about the mid 80's.
Yeah, the water level up to basket is fine--you measure out coffee just the same as any other method. Coffee should be a bit coarser, but all purpose should work. Let it perk away until it is the right color in the top glass knob, then pour. (Once it gets boiling, move it to a cooler part of the fire rack, otherwise it will boil over and taste burnt. Let it perk about once per second. Shouldn't take too long.

Old timers used to boil coffee in a big pot without a basket, then let the grounds settle to the bottom. Bet that put hair on your chest.

Used those for years, up until about the mid 80's.
Yeah, the water level up to basket is fine--you measure out coffee just the same as any other method. Coffee should be a bit coarser, but all purpose should work. Let it perk away until it is the right color in the top glass knob, then pour. (Once it gets boiling, move it to a cooler part of the fire rack, otherwise it will boil over and taste burnt. Let it perk about once per second. Shouldn't take too long.
Stuck at home due to snowstorm,just made a pot,30 year old mr coffee,will not die.Hard to find coarse coffee for perking unless you grind your own.Have 2 perks for camping,started taking paper filters to put in bottom of basket,less grounds and less bitter.One tablespoon for 2 cups,do not perk too long,trial and error.Also some cheaper new perks only work well making a full pot.Pan and coffee=cowboy coffee,gotta like chewing your coffee!

Reactions: Ashful
You know, one of the things I remember most about early childhood is waking up to the chug chug chug sound of my parents Faberware electric percolator pot every morning :) I dont think I ever drank perk coffee however.
My mom still has one. Scared my wife when we went over for dinner (she's younger than I).

We often just bring fine ground coffee camping- mix with boiling water, let stand one minuite, stir again and most of the grounds settle. Filter the rest through your teeth/mustache.

Reactions: firebroad
You know, one of the things I remember most about early childhood is waking up to the chug chug chug sound of my parents Faberware electric percolator pot every morning :) I dont think I ever drank perk coffee however.
I was thinking the same thing, when this came up. My parents had a Farberware perc until maybe 1985'ish. I did try it, but I was too young to like it.

farberperc.jpg

Oh yeah, it is a monster. My cabinets are 18" from the counter tops,but you also need clearance to put in beans and water so I'm stuck putting it right next to the sink where there aren't cabinets.

Could you by chance measure exactly how high it actually is - from the counter surface to the highest point? Specs say 16-1/4", which is exactly how much space I have. Just wondering how accurate their specs are. Someone a couple hours away from me is selling one.

Could you by chance measure exactly how high it actually is - from the counter surface to the highest point? Specs say 16-1/4", which is exactly how much space I have. Just wondering how accurate their specs are. Someone a couple hours away from me is selling one.

Mine is just a hair under 16-3/8" If you really wanted to, you could probably take a sanding belt to the 4 feet on the bottom and shave enough off to make it fit. They are about 1/4" tall.

Also, you'll need to load beans and water from the top. So if it just barely fits under the counter, you'll have to slide it out every few days to add the water and beans.

When working on the road, my mornin fix is usually a Tall regular Tim Hortons. When at home, I usually making a allongé with the espresso machine at home ( its a cheap brand but for 50$ it is making a awesome espresso when using the right grain , I did have to machined a bushing to replace a busted plastic on) . I ger my coffe from a local roaster from swedishchef hometown. And I just bought a stainless double wall french press for the cabin. I am fed up with breaking the glass jar on the boddum, i have like 5 busted in the past decade.

I drink one large and strong cup a day (16oz?) and my wife never touches the stuff. She bought me a drip machine with insulated carafe several years ago, but it was a hassle for just one cup. I got a french press & sold the drip machine,
For backcountry camping I bought one of these years ago: http://www.amazon.com/MSR-MugMateTM...d_sim_k_4?ie=UTF8&refRID=1QAF8CM74JYREDA5H4FF
It worked well and is super light & easy. Tastes almost as good as my french press, but much less mess/fuss & since I'm lazy & usually rushed in the morning I started using it every day!
Now I use one more like this because no plastic:
http://www.amazon.com/Tea-Services-..._sbs_k_16?ie=UTF8&refRID=1D58Q0ZMJ2N95SX9R5A8
I definitely get some serious mud at the end of a cup, but using a burr grinder it's not that bad and 95% of the cup is grit free. I just toss the last couple sips.
Boil water. Put filter in cup & grounds in filter. Pour water through filter. Couple minutes later lift out filter & knock grounds into compost. Done. almost no clean-up.
French Press now get use only when we have company.

OK, thanks. Sounds like it's back to the thinking board.

Hmm, need more coffee....
Really? The Bunn A10 measures only 14" and change, and usually receives better reviews.

CoffeeGeek.com overall user ratings:
- Bunn A10 = 9.05
- Breville BDC600XL = 7.40

Amazon.com ratings:
- Bunn A10 = 4.5 out of 5 stars
- Breville BDC600XL = 3.6 out of 5 stars

I didn't base my choice on overall user review ratings (note the CoffeeGeek rating is skewed by one guy who gave the Breville a zero), but the content of the reviews is (mostly) worth while.

Last edited:
Those italian percolators on the gas stoves make some good brew and use 1/2 or less as much in grounds as the drip machine.

I like coffee which is brown - not black - in terms of roasting. That's usually Central or S. American. Whole Foods has some nice Mexican beans which fit my taste buds.

My current discovery with brewing is this. The medium to light grounds taste good made in the regular drip machine. The slightly darker beans taste much better in the percolator below. I usually don't like the darker beans, but the perc brings out the flavor.

That's my current story and I'm sticking to it.

Bialetti-6800-Moka-Express-Stovetop-Percolator.jpg

We had a little perc like that in our room in some Italian hotels. It made a decent brew.

Those italian percolators on the gas stoves make some good brew and use 1/2 or less as much in grounds as the drip machine.

I like coffee which is brown - not black - in terms of roasting. That's usually Central or S. American. Whole Foods has some nice Mexican beans which fit my taste buds.

My current discovery with brewing is this. The medium to light grounds taste good made in the regular drip machine. The slightly darker beans taste much better in the percolator below. I usually don't like the darker beans, but the perc brings out the flavor.

That's my current story and I'm sticking to it.

Bialetti-6800-Moka-Express-Stovetop-Percolator.jpg

Is this a percolator or a italian stove top espresso maker ??

It's a percolator.

Is this a percolator or a italian stove top espresso maker ??

Some call it that......but it is available in many sizes. We have one that makes about a 10 oz. and one that makes a 12 oz.

With certain coffees, the output is amazingly good.

Some call it that......but it is available in many sizes. We have one that makes about a 10 oz. and one that makes a 12 oz.

With certain coffees, the output is amazingly good.

I have one like that and it is making awesome coffee.

In mine, the hot water goes up thru the coffee pod but tays up there in another compartment. Dad have a old percolator where the wayer goes up, fall into the basket full of coffe and down the bottom where it then mix with water and goes up again! Maybe my dad didn't have the twist with it, but I do not have good souvenirs off the percolator coffe!

You can't argue the taste of coffee. I prefer Armenian coffee. the coffee is ground to a flower consistency and brewed in a special pot. Very nice when you have the time.

Most often we, at the upper ranch, use a pour through coffee maker. Here at the Nevada ranch we have a Cuisinart, still we grind the coffee very fine.

When we were in Australia it took over a week to find a cup of coffee, that was in Brisbane, at the site where the world fair had been held. People, knowing you're an American, would offer coffee and bring out a kind of instant. I'd tell them "That's not coffee!" they'd say "Yes, it is."

When I finally got a real cup of.............It was wonderful, the world looked better, there were birds in the trees. Sitting there by watching the Brisbane River roll by, very nice. when girl said "Yank, want another?" I said "Sure! an can you fill this thermos?"

Australia Zoo was great..........but there's nothing like a good cup a , when you're away from the states.

Richard

Status
Not open for further replies.