Concrete Countertops how about Concrete Hearth pad?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doublewide

Jun 14, 2010
Eastern PA
I saw a bunch of videos on youtube on how to make a concrete countertop, so I figured I would make my own hearth slab. It worked out great, so I wanted to share with you guys.

I when to home depot and got a 3/4 inch sheet of melamine, a tube of caulk, 2 bags of concrete, concrete dye.

I used my tablesaw to cut a form (mold) from the melanine and used some glue and some drywall screws the hold it together.

You can make the exact size, shape, and thickness (mine was 1.5 inches) that you want.

Next, I mixed the concrete with a the powdered dye and then filled in the mold working outside (because it is messy)

I used a screed to level the concrete and my vibrating sander to vibrate the air bubbles out.

Let is dry for about 3 days, depending on thickness.

My slab was 3' X 3' and 1.5 thick and it probably weighted about 150LBS when done.

Any questions let me know.

Attachments

• pellet stove.jpg
    pellet stove.jpg
    11 KB · Views: 2,195
Nice job doublewide.....looks good!

What do you think the cost of making it yourself was, if you included some $ for your time & labor, plus the cost of the materials?

It cost about $65 for everything.

1 hour to home depot and get home (they cut my plywood in to smaller pieces for me).

45 min to make the mold

1 hr to mix and pure the concrete into the mold + vibrate

2 coats of waterbased finish on the slab 20 min. each

I could have done tile, but wanted to try something new + I like the look. It looks like a slab of granite. Before I made it I called a granite countertop company to see how much a piece of left over granite would be for a 36" X 36" $175 polished with an edge.

So at $40 per hour it would cost $200

I like it. I like how it looks, and I like that you did it yourself. I think it turned out great, and I'm quite sure you're proud of it (as I think you should be). Rick

Status
Not open for further replies.