Considering replacing my Mount Vernon AE Quadrafire

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

AJA

Jan 18, 2018
Albuquerque, NM
Been a while since posting because my stove has been so reliable. Lately it doesn't seem to have the heat output it used to, and it's using pellets at a faster rate. Ten years ago it was the best rated stove, but it sure has a lot of parts. What is currently considered to be the most reliable stove on the market? Thanks!

Harman. Hands down. Built like a tank & runs like a Cadillac...
And you need a Cadillac budget to replace:) parts

The place I bought the Quadrafire also sells Harmon. I'm removed from the latest developments. The Mount Vernon has so many damn bells and whistles and things to go wrong (knocking on wood as it's been running nicely). I do read about Harmons that are lemons, though overall they're highly rated. How about simple, sensible designs that emphasize durability and ease of maintenance? My Mount Vernon is such a pain to work on... Thanks again!!

Depending on amount of heat you need, the Santa Fe is a good little work horse, and easy to work on. Parts are cheaper and less, then on the AE. kap

And you need a Cadillac budget to replace:) parts
I agree on the new touch screen models. The 3 knob parts are not bad. Less than $300 you can replace esp and circuit board. Which is all the controls on the stove. And motors are typically $100-200 each which i dont think is to bad and that is dealer prices

I guess I was a little low. board and esp $355 for a 3 knob. Touch screen model is $800 plus fro board, touch screen and esp. I prefer the 3 knob control. It has been around forever and has the bugs worked out of it. On the inserts 52i has touch screen and 35i has 3 knob I think