Contemporary Stove Reviews ?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

GMoose

Aug 14, 2011
Hi there ... first time poster here but have to admit have been learning so much from this site.

We're in the market to replace an old smoke dragon and have been looking to some contemporary options. Most of the European stoves seem to be a little undersized for our application and overpriced IMO. I've stumbled on the Regency CSx series - the larger one is CS2400 I believe. Any thoughts on how these stoves perform ? Are they essentially similiar to a more tradional looking stove with a simple facelift ? We have about 2000 sq/ft in a pretty open floor plan but only 1700sq/ft or so needs heating so I am hoping it fits the bill and would like to get it installed in the next couple of weeks.

I've also looked at the Pacific Energy Fusion which is pretty comparable to the CS2400 but have to say it doesn't really look as nice.

Any thoughts or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks

The reason the European stoves are (as you say) "undersized" is because
the Europeans do not attempt to heat their entire homes with them.
They are space heaters & the Europeans have learned to heat the space
that they most often use, rather than the whole house.
That being said, we sold & installed a couple of the Regency contemporary
inserts last winter & the customers were happy with the performance...
YMMV

Thanks for the input and agreed. Seems like the Morso, Rais, etc units are sized as true "space" heaters. In the truest sense I suppose any stove is space heater .... I saw one of the posters sig lines say something "I know a stove is just a space heater but the space I want to heat is my house". lol.

I'm not necessarily looking for heat our whole house as our current set up doesn't necessarily do a great job of it so I'm expecting with a true EPA stove I will get better performance as a bonus. When you say you sold and installed the inserts I'm assuming you don't mean the actual freestanding stoves but rather the CI1100 or CI1150 (I think those are the models). Any experience with the stoves themselves ? the CS2400 ?

GMoose said:
Thanks for the input and agreed. Seems like the Morso, Rais, etc units are sized as true "space" heaters. In the truest sense I suppose any stove is space heater .... I saw one of the posters sig lines say something "I know a stove is just a space heater but the space I want to heat is my house". lol.

I'm not necessarily looking for heat our whole house as our current set up doesn't necessarily do a great job of it so I'm expecting with a true EPA stove I will get better performance as a bonus. When you say you sold and installed the inserts I'm assuming you don't mean the actual freestanding stoves but rather the CI1100 or CI1150 (I think those are the models). Any experience with the stoves themselves ? the CS2400 ?

I personally didn't sell any of the Regency Contemporary freestanders, so I can't give you any feedback...

I bought a CS1200 last season. It is a great looking stove and produces a good amount of heat for the size. I was able to use it as primary heat for my 1800 sq ft, 100 year old farm house last year. The controls are easy to use, and I was able to get 6-8 hr burn times during normal operation (burn time defined as load to still having enough coals to reload).

I am still considering upgrading to the CS2400, if anyone is interested in getting CS1200 for a good price.

I still like what BrotherBart says. Yes, the stove is a space heater and the space I want to heat is my house. Or something like that, but there is so much truth there.

Have you looked at the new Woodstock stove? It is not released yet but will be very soon and looks to be a winner. Don't forget that Woodstock has the best guarantee on the market either. Don't like it within the first six months, send it back for a full refund. They are confident and rightly so because of the quality of their products. Look them up at www.woodstove.com (sorry for not making that a link, so you'll need to paste that into your browser.

The BK Chinook series might be worth checking out too.

I'm fairly certain that the CS2400 is the same firebox as the F2400, which is a very good stove.

Status
Not open for further replies.