Convection blower bearing replacement.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I would go to your local electric motor rebuild shop and get the ones made for heat. They have the right lub in them and will last a lot longer. I tried the cheap skate bearings and they only made a couple months

Bob- I always thought it'd be nice to live in the Rocky's It sure is scenic there! And Helena forest is close as well as some others, Nice!
I live above bozeman pass 6500,lots of snow plowing.This is in the bridger range of the gallatin forest.We do pay dearly to live here,well known to be a double tax state!The forests around helena are all almost standing dead from pine beetle kill.

I would go to your local electric motor rebuild shop and get the ones made for heat. They have the right lub in them and will last a lot longer. I tried the cheap skate bearings and they only made a couple months
We are talking about new old stock german motor bearings that used to be used for skateboards before cheap board bearings came out.

Picked up a set of bearings today. Cost me a whopping 8 dollars and change. I am having some misgivings about them...they are made in China. Should I look for a better brand or slam them in and let er ride?

Picked up a set of bearings today. Cost me a whopping 8 dollars and change. I am having some misgivings about them...they are made in China. Should I look for a better brand or slam them in and let er ride?
Do it to it!!! EVERYTHING IS MADE IN CHINA! Even Bosch car parts, Milwaukee power tools, you name it!

Just as well put them in and try it. Like anywhere else some peddle junk and other companies in the same country have good stuff. quality control makes the difference. If you look into it most of the pellet stoves electric boards are Chinese made. The popular Quadrafire AE has a Chinese board among many other brands.. It all boils down to where a product can be manufactured the cheapest. The cast iron parts on a AE are also foreign made.
Not picking on the AE but I used to own one and if you looked at the electric board it was stamped Beijing, China.

Reactions: tjnamtiw
These bearings I just got have Germany written all over them. I'll report back with any info.
I was incorrect earlier, the bearings I got are an ABEC 3. I'm pretty excited!!

I have to ask. How did you ever get the squirrel cage off?

I assume your Fasco blower has a squirrel cage. I have about three Fasco blowers sitting in the garage that need bearing replacement but I'll be damned if I can get the set screw loose. Whenever I try it looks like my allen wrench is going to break.
I used a little bit of heat on the set screw and it was easy from there. It took a little elbow grease to get the cage off of the shaft, but it came free without damage.
Heat the hub not the screw. That makes the hole the screw is in expand. At the same time the hub expands on the shaft and makes it easier to move.

I should have been more clear in my removal technique. I should have specified heating the hub itself..... heating the set screw will do nothing but expand it in the hub, and probably get the person removing said set screw even more aggravated.

Status
Not open for further replies.