Cooking on the wood stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Have a buddy who does pizza on his stove. Uses a stone and very large cast iron skillet as a lid. Gets everything hot 1st the throws the pie on for 5-10 minutes. I haven't ever tried one but they look good.

I just got a huge cast iron pan and was thinking pizza in the stove tomorrow. I'll post pics

Reactions: VirginiaIron
I purchased a 15 inch skillet and the pan pizza works well in the oven but I have yet to try it on top of the woodstove. Let us know and maybe I'll try it after you. Be mindful of your temperature and let us know what temperature you use. One time I tried cooking a pizza over a rocket stove and I burned it.

I personally never had luck with stones. At 5-600 degrees every one I've had cracked when cold dough hit them. I started using fire brick (8 of them). Put parchment under for the first few minutes then pull it out so the dough gets a good char.

Ramen, eggs, grilled cheese, regular and sweet potatoes inside wrapped in foil, and always have water on for tea. Make sure to cover the stove with foil to keep oil splashes off the paint :)

b0e3045c9dd0c4af8823e708d37a8917.jpg

9edaf008a1724a6d59fb154830a92e34.jpg

14ba5a28dbb6baadef5ebf88faa5175e.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935T using Tapatalk

Last edited:
How do you keep your stove top and pipe so shiny?

Reactions: WayneN
Really no temperature control so the only thing I have cooked on the stove in the last few years is dried pinto beans in a dutch oven to soften them.

I use the stove primarily to humidify the house with 2 pots of water constantly going and in the morning to percolate coffee.

How do you keep your stove top and pipe so shiny?
I line with plenty of aluminum foil. That's the trick to keep splashes off the pretty top lol

One layer but use a much bigger square than you need.

Oh and use the temp Guage to feel for how hot / what you're cooking. Things like grilled cheese / eggs don't need more than 350 up top. Boiling water for Ramen takes closers to 450 ( covered ). I'm still experimenting but having fun.

My wife says she never had a better tasting baked potato ( or sweet potato ). Medium heat on the front ledge for 20 minutes and wrap the potato tight in foil so it steams itself. Yum!

Really no temperature control so the only thing I have cooked on the stove in the last few years is dried pinto beans in a dutch oven to soften them.

I use the stove primarily to humidify the house with 2 pots of water constantly going and in the morning to percolate coffee.
That's what I need! A good percolator! Off to amazon I go LOL

If you can wrap it in foil, you can cook it inside the stove. Hot dogs cook fast in the stove ;-)
I used to make smaller chicken pot pies, and freeze them. Then heat them up as I wanted on top of the insert, that was nice also.

I purchased a 15 inch skillet and the pan pizza works well in the oven but I have yet to try it on top of the woodstove
No, I'm referring to inside the stove like directly on the coals with the door shut. btw, thank you for my 800th like :)

You can cook just about anything inside the stove in a cast iron camp style dutch oven and regulate the cooking temp based on the volume of coals used and provided you can comfortably fit the pot inside your stove which can be an issue with some stoves.

Btw I have cooked quite a few dishes including dessert pies in a camp style bread oven before outside with charcoal briquettes and also wood coals as this is one solution to take when your stove over coals in cold weather.

They do have a coal chart on the internet for temperature regulation.

This one?

How does it do with lower stove top temps?With as warm as its been I have been running it pretty low ( 300's ) :)

View attachment 191443

I like that one but the handle could present a problem if you double it up for camping use if you are careless. If you also intend to use it for camping a graniteware pot probably would be a safer choice.

I like that one but the handle could present a problem if you double it up for camping use if you are careless. If you also intend to use it for camping a graniteware pot probably would be a safer choice.
I think I'd just use my regular stove burner with it camping and not put it in the fire. I love roughing it but the wife needed hotel quality while camping lol

The compromise was a 30 foot monster. a0315c51e61c360d9ebe8bd43a0b923a.jpg

We cook about 40% of our meals on our wood stove. Soups and stews are common, but anything that goes in a cast iron skillet will find its way to the PE Summit. Admittedly, a stove with a steel top makes for care free cooking for the most part--in fact, I find that splatters take care of themselves when the stove top really heats up (600F+). Other than that, we roast hot dogs on occasion, we've made mountain pies, and we've even baked in a cheap tin, stove-top oven. One of our staples is throwing a whole, large onion directly in the coals. Let it cook for about 20 min, The outer few layers are charred pretty good, but the inside is caramelized.

So, all I can think of to do is soup, and actually was only going to keep it warm on the stove, after cooking it in the kitchen where it is convenient. Do I put it directly onto the wood stove, without a trivet, or anything? Am I going to scratch up the Oslo's blue-black enamel? Center or corner? (we didn't buy the cooking oval thing).

What else do you cook on or in your stoves?

Yeah I'd hate to put something like a cast iron fry pan or dutch oven on a nice porcelain enameled stove. My Shelburne had nice green enamel I tried a few smooth bottom stainless pots but even decided against that. Probably a good thing too since the stove didn't really work out for me and I may try to sell it - still looks brand new.

On my Ideal Steel I've cooked all sorts of stuff. Depends on the burn though of course, if your cruising low and slow it's not going to do much but keep things warm. But cranking it after a reload things can get frying pretty good on the stainless center burner. I have got a peculator to work to make coffee but it did take quite a bit longer. Usually I just use crock pot with things that cook all day. Here is chili I made a few days ago...

chili.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
No, I'm referring to inside the stove like directly on the coals with the door shut. btw, thank you for my 800th like :)

So you use the inside of the stove as a pizza oven? I take it you have a small bed of coals and just add a little wood when you need some? Or do you slide the coals away and let the bricks do the cooking?

i don't think i would want to bring my food downstairs to cook it on the wood stove, but every so often we will warm up a pie or something on top. I think the percolator would be a good idea. or maybe a tea pot, since we always drink tea. With the top loader, it is a bit more difficult to keep stuff on the stove.

When we first got our stove, we got the warming shelves, but they were a different color and took up a lot of space. we decided against the look, and back they went. We have the stove top steamer to keep the air a bit more humid, and just recently added an EcoFan. Its a lot of stuff to move every time we load up the stove!

So you use the inside of the stove as a pizza oven? I take it you have a small bed of coals and just add a little wood when you need some? Or do you slide the coals away and let the bricks do the cooking?
We tried this and found that direct contact with the coals and the pizza stone burnt the crust. Better to let the coals burn down then insert a couple bricks several inches apart and set the pizza stone on top of the bricks. It'll be hot inside the stove so watch the pizza closely. You may need to rotate it once for even baking. Ours cooked up the pie in 2 minutes.

Reactions: OhioBurner©
We often cook slow-cook items on our wood stove = anything that you'd cook in a crock-pot. Our stove has the swing outs for the cook top, but after getting up to boiling (on cold winter days, when stove going good) even on top the wing-outs will keep things simmering along nicely. We don't use it daily as it is across our living room rug.
On the other hand, when without power for over a week one year, we cooked a complete Christmas dinner on top the stove! Use cast iron & dutch ovens, etc. & you can cook about everything but the complete turkey.