1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Cooling a hot stove

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by firecracker_77, Sep 29, 2012.

1. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    That's what we wanted to read! Now would baking soda be the second consideration? Heck...I'm bringing in the hose next. Thanx. Jeff. PS...used to changing the underwear thing lol

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    And to add. What I say every year. If you load a full load of fresh dry wood on top of a coal bed in a stove with a stove top temp over 400 degrees things are going to be real interesting in your house for the next two hours or so. It WILL give you pause to reflect.
    corey21 and neumsky like this.
  3. begreen

begreen Mooderator Staff Member

Loc:
    South Puget Sound, WA
    I think keeping a cool head is the primary consideration. Once the fire settles down it becomes a non-event and time for a stiff shot.
    neumsky likes this.
  4. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    I see my insurance rates going down every time I talk to you guys lol. Thanx.
  5. BrotherBart

BrotherBart Hearth.com LLC Mid-Atlantic Division Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern Virginia
    The right answer is to reload a stove at 400 degrees stove top or under and then cut down the air in steps starting at 400, again at 500 and then at 600. Toss a fresh load on hot coals and all hell is gonna break loose. (For Gamma: You will get pause to reflect). Don't do it and you can leave the baking soda in the cabinet. Never used it so I don't know if it works. But have to admit that I have it and a Chimfex close to both stoves.
  6. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Ok... Will get some chimfex. So meaning throwing new load on hot coals...and hot meaning...a Stove top above 400. See what's interesting is part 7b in the front section of this site on How to Start a fire. It says...put a load on before the flame gets too low.
  7. Sprinter

Sprinter Minister of Fire

Loc:
    SW Washington
    I've got some fresh cut alder (wet as a sponge) that looks like it would suppress any fire...;lol
  8. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    That's funny...just finished my room in knotty Alder...is it that hard to get burning?
  9. ailanthus

ailanthus Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Shen Valley, VA
    I've always worried that blocking the secondary intake would cause backpuffing. Is that concern real or imagined?
  10. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Sounds like this chimfex is the cats meow...well worth the 15 dollars it costs. Looks like every wood burner should have it standing by. I wonder what it's shelf life is?
  11. KodiakII

KodiakII Feeling the Heat

Loc:
    Eastern Ontario
    Holy crap, we pay close to $35 for them up here...figure that one out when our dollar is either at par or above yours!
  12. neumsky

neumsky Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Oklahoma City
    Yeah...well I mispoke...a little soon. Going price is 35 in OKC area also...that was an old price...sorry!
  13. firecracker_77

firecracker_77 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    NWI office - 2 Heritages; Chicago home - Woodstock
    This did not make sense to me the first time I heard this, but it does now. Shuts down the secondaries and turns it into a fireplace. A fireplace rarely overheats like that, although they are masonry and not squeezing the heat into such a small space, but I hear you.