Cord retention hook on electric chainsaws?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Easy Livin’ 3000

Minister of Fire
Dec 23, 2015
SEPA
Can't figure out for the life of me what the hook is for on my electric chainsaws. My google searches led me to believe it's called a cord retention hook, but the cords are only a foot long, and if I were to keep the extension cord with it during storage, I'd need another point on the saw to wrap it around.

What is it really for? How is it supposed to be used?

IMG_20191211_091111144.jpg

Make a loop in the extension cord, shove it through the slot in the handle and loop it over the hook. It keeps you from "unplugging" (accidentally pulling apart) the extension cord from your saw.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Northern tool 37t splitter

Reactions: Easy Livin’ 3000
Make a loop in the extension cord, shove it through the slot in the handle and loop it over the hook. It keeps you from "unplugging" (accidentally pulling apart) the extension cord from your saw.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
Thanks JMB. I always tie my extension cord and end of the saw's cord in a knot to keep it plugged in, but don't use the hook. I thought maybe that is what the hook was for, but I can't picture what you explained. Any chance you have a picture?

I played around with it, and discovered the 12 gauge extension cord is too thick to go under the hook, so that wouldn't work for me, anyhow.

Last edited:
Sorry, no. I have no electrical tools.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic

Sorry, no. I have no electrical tools.

Lopi Endeavor
Lopi Republic
I love my electric chainsaws. They never have carb issues, no mixing oil and gas, no spilled or old gas, I don't smell when I'm done (well, not like oil and gas smoke, anyway). And, they are remarkably powerful. On the downside, they are slower, have cords, and are lower quality built.

I recently had to replace the fuel line on my larger gas husky, and need to do the same on my smaller echo. What a hassle.

They also eat up chaps ... no clogging ...

They also eat up chaps ... no clogging ...
Don't touch your chaps with your chain.

This "no clogging" is a strength to me, I do 95%+ of the cutting I do with the electric, on a sawbuck. My legs are nowhere near the saw.

My intent is to fashion a chainsaw chop saw with one of my electrics, so I can hold the logs with my other hand.