cornflakes cont.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dulcierae

Dec 12, 2010
Big Timber, MT
Ok guys...
I wrote a couple of days ago about hearing a crackling sound coming from my stove pipe. From what I've heard on here it's nothing to be immediately alarmed about. Since that post my husband and I cleaned the chimney. at the bottom of the chimney there was a good bit of buildup which we knocked off with an ice chipping tool (it was too hard to get off with the brush) So we fired the old stove up again today after putting it back together and the noise is even worse! it's constant... like you can hear the embers hitting the sides of the pipe as they fly up. there is also a smell sort of like burning dust (like when you start a heater after being off all summer) It's raining outside could that make funny sounds? it's a single wall stove pipe and I don't think the sound is related to the metal expanding or contracting.... any new ideas?

Did you clean the stove pipe also?

Yep, we sure did!
There was a lot of dust in there, coating the edges when we cleaned it out! we ran a brush over it and put it back together. I have no idea what the noise is. My husband tells me we cleaned it so whatever it is it's nothing to worry about but I can't help it! Just seems like that's not a noise it should be making if everything is s it should be. :O :)

Status
Not open for further replies.