Corona Virus Projects

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shortys7777

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2017
Smithfield, RI
I am a school teacher and it's starting to look like we may have some time off soon with the way things are going. Looks like I can start my kitchen project sooner if thats the case. Also have some splitting and stacking I need to get done. Anyone else working from home or possibly seeing time off if it gets crazy? I personally think its getting out of hand with everything the news and media are throwing at us and I barely follow any of that stuff.

My kids' school is evaluating if they can do some school work "over the internet" and they have a survey to parents asking for the status of home internet connections.

I’m a Paramedic, I’m thinking we will get all time off denied lol.

There is a huge problem with how the media is portraying this. I have no issues with limiting public gatherings. I have no issues with taking precautions. I have a huge problem with this being hyped up. The facts are it is showing a lethality in the same population as the flu does. Over 70 with existing medical problems and the rest of the population with medical problems. I’m not trying to downplay but, children usually end up getting it and it just runs it’s course with no problems. Just like the flu or a whole host of other viruses do.

We need common sense to prevail or this will be a huge disaster not from the virus but, from overreacting.

Our All School Musical scheduled for next week has been cancelled. Two open houses and an Art Show
scheduled for tonight have been cancelled. My son is in his Jr. year of college...he is
getting an 'extended' Easter break and will work from home when things do resume. A neighboring school
district is shutting down for awhile. And we haven't even had ONE reported case in our county!

I agree with Medic21...sanity should prevail. SHOULD. I'm not holding out much hope though.
Just practice basic good hygiene and all will be well.

I agree that the whole thing is over hyped. I work in a building with over 1000 middle schoolers. Some teachers think we should've closed last week. There has been 3 cases I think in the entire state from a private school trip to Italy. Two of those were adult volunteers. Any event over 250 people has been cancelled throughout the state. A local college is doing remote learning and not refunding room and board (not surprised).

but, children usually end up getting it and it just runs it’s course with no problems.
And they pass it on to those at home, or anywhere else they travel to. Nephew last fall had pneumonia twice last fall from his kid bringing home the "crud", then passed it on to the rest of us after a night out to a restaurant. Only time I was sick all winter.

Reactions: Highbeam
And they pass it on to those at home, or anywhere else they travel to. Nephew last fall had pneumonia twice last fall from his kid bringing home the "crud", then passed it on to the rest of us after a night out to a restaurant. Only time I was sick all winter.

Im not saying to ignore this in any way. If someone in your family is immunodeficient for some reason you need to take it seriously. I’m just sick of the near panic and bullshit.

Reactions: lsucet and Sawset
How quickly we forget about the last Pandemic...

H1N1 (Swine Flu) timeline dated 6/5/19 from CNN: “April 29, 2009 - WHO raises the influenza pandemic alert to a level 5, indicating sustained community-level outbreaks in two or more countries within the same region. June 11, 2009 - WHO raises the influenza pandemic alert to a level 6. The outbreak is now being considered a global pandemic. October 24, 2009 – US President Barack Obama declares the H1N1 outbreak a national emergency.”

So 4½ months after WHO calls this a “global pandemic” Obama labels this a “national emergency.” The next year on June 11th 2010 the CDC released these Swine Flu stats just within the United States: “From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 MILLION CASES, 274,304 HOSPITALIZATIONS and 12,469 DEATHS.” And yet there was no stock market crash, no sports leagues suspending seasons and no “journalists” or GOP politicians blaming Obama for his delayed response. As it should be, this current virus is being taken seriously. But the media’s TRUMP DERANGEMENT is now destroying lives!

If you suck at math that was a .21 death rate for the Swine Flu. We have no idea the actual death rate for Coronavirus but, I have no problem agreeing with a lot of experts it is much lower due to the rate of spread and the cases that people never knew they had not being reported. 368 cases in New York and no deaths as of yesterday. Take away the deaths from ONE nursing home and there were have only been 27 deaths nationwide. If your not aware people in nursing homes die at an alarming rate to the common flu also.

Quit buying into the bullshit being spewed and live your lives.

My kids are still in school in South NJ but there are talks of the two week shutdown.
I own a bike rental at the Jersey shore and I'm quite worried about this virus. I only have a shirt time to make my bread and with schools taking off and travel bands it could be a terrible summer. One positive I read was this virus does terrible in warm conditions!!!!!

Im not saying to ignore this in any way. If someone in your family is immunodeficient for some reason you need to take it seriously. I’m just sick of the near panic and bullshit.
I accidentlly tuned into the mainstream radio media the other day - just for a few seconds. Ridiculous high pitch high intensity rubbish. Very unfortunate that so many soak this stuff up.

Reactions: Seasoned Oak
I see a large expansion of Cyber schools coming down the pike. Our local school district started their own cyber arm thinking they are losing a few pennies to cyber schools. The good news is they wont need 15 overpaid administrators but will probably pay them anyway.

I accidentlly tuned into the mainstream radio media the other day - just for a few seconds. Ridiculous high pitch high intensity rubbish. Very unfortunate that so many soak this stuff up.
There is unfortunately no accountability for what the media is doing anymore. It used to be an outlet that deceived the population would be shunned but, now it’s just accepted. Personally I like NPR as they seem to be the only outlet that still reports without a bias.

UW Whitewater closing down ( wisconsin state college) CMP canceling a lot of matches and classes. My own Gun club canceled all activities until further notice. The only thing that hasn't slowed down are those xyz junk phone calls.

This has been so blown out of proportion its not even funny anymore... we have day care's up here that are using hand sanitize on toddlers and the kids are coming home with chemical burns on their hands. People are saying we should shut everything in town down, every outdoor event for kids has been canceled for spring brake.. Heck my kid was sent home from school because she had a cough... she has a cough because she has asma and her step dad will not let her use her medication to control it.. Heck we live so far north we wil probably never see a case of it up here

Well MA and RI just shut down all resturants to take out or delivery only. That's a huge blow. I'm guessing schools will be out atleast 3 weeks. My kids daycare is closed this week. I'm sure next week it will be too.

There is unfortunately no accountability for what the media is doing anymore. It used to be an outlet that deceived the population would be shunned but, now it’s just accepted. Personally I like NPR as they seem to be the only outlet that still reports without a bias.
NPR news, in general, seems biased towards reporting on left-leaning issues such as the environment and LGBT. Many of their larger financial supporters drive that content.
The non-news shows like Wait Wait Don't Tell Me and others seem to lean to the left, at least when compared to the alternatives.
That said, the news programs that NPR offers do seem to provide the best balance and least hype when compared to other sources, especially when compared to other radio offerings.

Reactions: bholler and Medic21
My little ones school closed. she goes to a private school and im still required to pay her tuition every month.. Im so fed up with social media and this... THings are getting closed due to the social media hype the gov's are only doing things due to the pressure of social media

My little ones school closed. she goes to a private school and im still required to pay her tuition every month.. Im so fed up with social media and this... THings are getting closed due to the social media hype the gov's are only doing things due to the pressure of social media
No, things are closed because this is a highly contagious SARS virus. Do you think Disney and every other huge corporation wants to throw BILLIONS of dollars away? The fed doesn't cut checks to citizens for just anything. Have you seen the stock market? The global oil market? This is very serious.

In the end, Social Media is just humans being human. including overreaction and mob mentality.
This is when science matters. The hard data is relatively self-explanatory. Yes, the numbers are still relatively low when compared to flu but the growth rate looks scary.

1584631518602.png

Worldwide data from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ U.S. data is here also.

We've been exposed to flu, and have some immunities due to exposure directly or by vaccination -- not the case for Covid 19.
An early, strong response may do a lot to minimize the health, economic, and other impacts. Unfortunately, we won't know whether we over- or under-reacted until its too late.

Reactions: AlbergSteve
I'm not leaving my house for anything other than food.

Reactions: SeanBB
In the end, Social Media is just humans being human. including overreaction and mob mentality.
This is when science matters. The hard data is relatively self-explanatory. Yes, the numbers are still relatively low when compared to flu but the growth rate looks scary.

View attachment 258328
Worldwide data from: https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/ U.S. data is here also.

We've been exposed to flu, and have some immunities due to exposure directly or by vaccination -- not the case for Covid 19.
An early, strong response may do a lot to minimize the health, economic, and other impacts. Unfortunately, we won't know whether we over- or under-reacted until its too late.
But, the reality is upwards of over half a million plus die annually from the flu worldwide. We are nowhere near these numbers yet.

Indiana alone we have 2 confirmed deaths from Coronavirus and 92 confirmed flu deaths in the first 20 days of this month alone.

The US has had 80 million flu cases with estimates of upwards of 50,000 deaths from the flu this season. That’s in comparison to a few thousand confirmed cases and a few hundred deaths.

These are real numbers. Maybe this will all work to slow it down but, we will not see these kinds of numbers dead from this right now. There is a lot of overkill right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.