Corona Virus Projects

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
And what your referring to is “herd” immunity. Yes that helps and will not help with Coronavirus. But, as we learn more everyday like China possibly having 80% more cases than reported. That means closer to 150,000 with the fatality rate at .02, the same as some strains of flu over the years. And that’s without a vaccine.

The science is in looking at the numbers and establishing trends and corrective action, not counting and reporting what has happened.

The shutdowns that are being implemented are science based and are thus there to prevent future deaths. I support science, not denial or “I believe” opinions.

It really doesn’t matter what you “think” if you have no facts, and very few , if any people pushing denial have the training or capability to analyze pandemic trends.

The science is in looking at the numbers and establishing trends and corrective action, not counting and reporting what has happened.

The shutdowns that are being implemented are science based and are thus there to prevent future deaths. I support science, not denial or “I believe” opinions.

It really doesn’t matter what you “think” if you have no facts, and very few , if any people pushing denial have the training or capability to analyze pandemic trends.
I do have first hand knowledge in testing right now. About 1 in 100 are actually tested when presenting with a cough, fever, and negative flu test. The numbers they have mean nothing at this time. Trending or analyzing pandemics REQUIRE accurate numbers. Right now the only accurate number is deaths per cases of those tested not known cases. Current practice is to tell those that do not have difficult breathing to stay at or return to home. Only the sickest that have a travel or Hx of family travel are being tested. The death rate of any outbreak will be skewed high and way off without 100% testing. There is a reason that the flu deaths are reported as a range that has almost a 32,000 range between known and projected. All these numbers are projected right now and common sense should tell you different.

How’s that?

And if you must know I’ve been in healthcare in the military and in the civilian world for 26 years this April. Including extensive training in preventative medicine with multiple combat and humanitarian deployments including Haiti with the Cholera Outbreak.

Reactions: WinterinWI
But, the reality is upwards of over half a million plus die annually from the flu worldwide. We are nowhere near these numbers yet.

Indiana alone we have 2 confirmed deaths from Coronavirus and 92 confirmed flu deaths in the first 20 days of this month alone.

The US has had 80 million flu cases with estimates of upwards of 50,000 deaths from the flu this season. That’s in comparison to a few thousand confirmed cases and a few hundred deaths.

These are real numbers. Maybe this will all work to slow it down but, we will not see these kinds of numbers dead from this right now. There is a lot of overkill right now.

Self-isolating will work for flu also of course.

I'm not leaving my house for anything other than food.

I have this afternoon brought all my office stuff home including my PC and installed SSLVPN software on it. I am fortunate in having a very sensible and astute employer. I will be going nowhere any time soon. I am well provisioned for a few months.

Reactions: SpaceBus
My employer has assigned online training to help soften the blow, but that will run out soon. My medical pension will fortunately sustain us during these times, but others will not be so fortunate. Hopefully the fed and state governments will work out a deal to keep food in mouths.

As EMA Director for my town I can tell you last week I was just a teensy bit busy. ;) :) Ended up sleeping for close to 12 hours on Saturday.

How quickly we forget about the last Pandemic...

H1N1 (Swine Flu) timeline dated 6/5/19 from CNN: “April 29, 2009 - WHO raises the influenza pandemic alert to a level 5, indicating sustained community-level outbreaks in two or more countries within the same region. June 11, 2009 - WHO raises the influenza pandemic alert to a level 6. The outbreak is now being considered a global pandemic. October 24, 2009 – US President Barack Obama declares the H1N1 outbreak a national emergency.”

So 4½ months after WHO calls this a “global pandemic” Obama labels this a “national emergency.” The next year on June 11th 2010 the CDC released these Swine Flu stats just within the United States: “From April 12, 2009 to April 10, 2010, CDC estimated there were 60.8 MILLION CASES, 274,304 HOSPITALIZATIONS and 12,469 DEATHS.” And yet there was no stock market crash, no sports leagues suspending seasons and no “journalists” or GOP politicians blaming Obama for his delayed response. As it should be, this current virus is being taken seriously. But the media’s TRUMP DERANGEMENT is now destroying lives!

If you suck at math that was a .21 death rate for the Swine Flu. We have no idea the actual death rate for Coronavirus but, I have no problem agreeing with a lot of experts it is much lower due to the rate of spread and the cases that people never knew they had not being reported. 368 cases in New York and no deaths as of yesterday. Take away the deaths from ONE nursing home and there were have only been 27 deaths nationwide. If your not aware people in nursing homes die at an alarming rate to the common flu also.

Quit buying into the bullshit being spewed and live your lives.

When i was reading up on this the other day the death total was up around 400000 as this virus is still currently killing... as you said no one shut down the world for this. chit i live in up in northern Canada and their has not been a new case in the country in 4 days now yet several of our local mayors in surrounding towns are declaring a state of emergency so they can shut everything down... Were is the common sense in this are these people going to help the people that are going to loose everything over this? I have lived through several super bugs and this is the first time it has been blown out of proportion like this... One of them i remember the news doing what they could not to start mass hysteria and panic... Boy how things have changes

Zeock -Bingo, mass media sensationalizing

No bias at NPR? That is the first time I have heard someone claim that NPR is bias free.
Maybe that was a sarcastic statement?

There is already a CV thread in the Inglenook. This thread would be most helpful if it sticks to DIY projects. Political comments will close the thread down, quickly.

But, the reality is upwards of over half a million plus die annually from the flu worldwide. We are nowhere near these numbers yet.

Indiana alone we have 2 confirmed deaths from Coronavirus and 92 confirmed flu deaths in the first 20 days of this month alone.

The US has had 80 million flu cases with estimates of upwards of 50,000 deaths from the flu this season. That’s in comparison to a few thousand confirmed cases and a few hundred deaths.

These are real numbers. Maybe this will all work to slow it down but, we will not see these kinds of numbers dead from this right now. There is a lot of overkill right now.
So we should wait untill things get completely out of control before we respond to it???

That’s a dumb question and you know it.

doesn’t deserve any sensible reply.
You were the one that said we were over reacting at this point. When exactly is the right time to take measures at slow the spread of a pandemic?

Status
Not open for further replies.