Cutting Surround to opening size on insert

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Billy123

Mar 5, 2011
PA
Anyone cut their surround to match their opening? I would like to see some pictures.

I was looking at the Napoleon 1101, and the surround is 44 1/2" by 32". My opening is 37" by 27".

Thinking about getting rid of my surround completely this summer. Clean out the fireplace to make it presentable and install a block off plate. Tired of all that radiant heat behind the surround going up the chimney.

WoodpileOCD said:
Thinking about getting rid of my surround completely this summer. Clean out the fireplace to make it presentable and install a block off plate. Tired of all that radiant heat behind the surround going up the chimney.
Amen! What a waste considering the reason youre doing what you do.

I doubt you will gain that much though. You might get a little but not much in the form of radiant heat... unless your fireplace openeing is very large compared the insert, mine is probably less than 2" on each side so all the radiant heat is pretty much blocked whether the surround is on or off.

OhioBurner© said:
I doubt you will gain that much though. You might get a little but not much in the form of radiant heat... unless your fireplace openeing is very large compared the insert, mine is probably less than 2" on each side so all the radiant heat is pretty much blocked whether the surround is on or off.

I know the heat from the the back and sides of the stove isn't going to radiate out into the room but if I have an insulated block off plate, wouldn't the majority of the heat that now goes up the chimney be contained in the living area (defined as anything below the b/o plate) and increase the temperature of the stove? Increased stove temps mean increased temp of the air coming out of the blower vents.

Yes, block off plate good, I was not referring to that. I put one on mine, although I didnt notice a big difference, I am sure it helps. I just dont think leaving off the surround will allow you to feel much more radiant heat. Maybe if you put a small fan blowing into the fireplace opening might help push some of the heat back out.

Billy123 said:
Anyone cut their surround to match their opening? I would like to see some pictures.

I was looking at the Napoleon 1101, and the surround is 44 1/2" by 32". My opening is 37" by 27".

Why do you want to cut the surround? I had that stove and loved it by the way.

I like the shadow-box look for surround and would like the surround not to be much bigger than my opening. 38" x 28" would be about right.

Here is a crude photoshop of what I had in mine. Frame added to cut surround-size 38 x 28.

Attachments

• yhst-95622685483394_2142_33925807.jpg
    yhst-95622685483394_2142_33925807.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 203
  • frame.jpg
    frame.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 235
The problem I'm having with the dimensions request is that they are almost the size of the inner flashing. Can you post a full shot of the fireplace as it exists now and supply the current dimensions?

Current screen cover is 38 x 28. The box is 37x27.

The 1101 surround is 44 1/2" by 32".

I cut mine on the Englander 13 nci.

The 1101 with a surround like the one one the Osburn 1800 looks pretty nice.

Attachments

• 1101 w frqme.jpg
    1101 w frqme.jpg
    15.3 KB · Views: 161
Status
Not open for further replies.