Damper frame not mortared: DIY?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

Mattdk

Oct 26, 2020
North Carolina
Hi folks,

I’ve tried to do the obligatory googling on this topic and have come up empty. Our chimney inspector told us that the damper frame in our fireplace isn’t mortared or otherwise locked down - he gave it a shove and we could hear it moving, and he said he wouldn’t use it in the current condition. I contacted a couple of masons and was told that the job was “quick” and also would run $500, and so I’m wondering if I could do this myself. Any comments on what sort of pitfalls I might run into, reasons for or against, that sort of thing? I appreciate the help.

Can you post a picture?

Damper frame not mortared: DIY?Damper frame not mortared: DIY?

Curious about this myself. Mine is mortared in place, but has huge gaps between the damper frame and the rock interior. I'm guessing smoke can get in there and go around the flue.