Decisions....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

byteme

Nov 13, 2010
Maryland
I was originally looking to put a woodburning insert into my existing fireplace, but after reviewing building code, which requires a 27" clearance from the top of the insert to my mantle, I opted out - way too much work to completely replace my mantle/surround (antique), plus I like it. So, I've been looking at pellet stove inserts as they only require a 12" clearance from the top of the stove to the mantle.

I'm seriously looking at a Harman Accentra pellet insert. However my neighbor has recommended Lennox. I've done some research on the Lennox inserts and have mostly seen negative comments (although the old Whittfields got good reviews). I'm trying to heat about 2,000sf main level, knowing that I'm not going to really effect the second floor. The floor plan is very open and the current masonry fireplace is centrally located (interior) in the family room. The master bedroom is right behind the chimney wall, and the opposite end is the breakfast room/kitchen. There is a short hallway (~12') to the two story foyer and main staircase.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on a good pellet stove insert and comments on the Harman Accentra pellet stove insert.

tks, Jack

Harman, Enviro, QuadraFire, Lopi/Avalon, and St Croix. Have been getting good reviews here. Lennox well? I have heard some negitives.

I have to tell you that my dealer has a Lennox Bella in his showroom that's been trouble free for three years now... a beautiful unit. But if the others have problems well...

An associate at work has a Harman Accentra insert. She and her husband love it. No problems.

The Accentra was my first choice, but we could not wait for one during the time that oil prices went crazy.

As j-takeman stated above, there are a number of quality stoves available.

Service after the sale should also be a strong consideration, some members feel that the dealer is THE top consideration.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Ranger

Thanks for all your comments - very much appreciated.

We opted for the Harman Accentra for a couple of reasons: 1) lots of positive reviews, 2) the dealer seems to be top notch, 3) we like the styling.

It's going to be installed on 3-December...until then, I'm feeding the fireplace!

Cheers

Sounds just like me I wanted to put a Jotul Castine on my hearth and had the same clearance issues besides the love and hate relationship I have with wood in general. Settled on a Harmen Accentra insert today based on looks, reviews here, and a couple of friends I have. Good luck.... I still think the Jotul Castine is a sweet looking stove!

byteme,

Congratulations!

Please post pictures of the December install and let us know how much you are enjoying the stove.

Regards,

Ranger

Status
Not open for further replies.